Chapter 27: How Do You Sleep?

The first thing that I saw when my eyes opened were Connor's mesmerizing gray eyes staring back at me.

"Thank God you're finally awake---"

"Connor, it's my turn to lie down beside Heath... who's apparently awake! Forget what I said." Sphinx chuckled nervously.

What the?

"Who are you people?" I decided to fake an amnesia for fun.

"OH MY GOD! SHE DOESN'T REMEMBER ME!" Natalie shrieked.

"You mean, 'us', she doesn't remember us." Sphinx corrected his sister.

"HOLD ME! I'M FEELING RATHER DIZZY..." Princeton caused a drama scene as he leaned towards Tom.

"No way, man." Tom just walked away from the guy.

"Uh, guys... Connor fainted." Rick announced.

"You guys are overreacting. I'm only joking." I stated with a blunt affect.

"Oh." Natalie twirled a lock of her hair with a finger.

"Connor's not joking though. He's really out of it." Wes slapped Connor's face a couple of times just to check.

"We've been worried sick about you." Stan said seriously with a grim face.

"Sorry." For some reason, I suddenly felt ashamed of myself...

For running over a tree.

"You guys should go home and rest. You don't have to worry about me." I added.

"You sure you're fine though?" Natalie asked.

"Yeah. I'm slowly coming to my senses now. How long have I been out?" I asked.

"For three damn hours." Stan says.

"Oh." I thought I was unconscious for days.

"We should ALL go now and leave Heath alone so that she can rest." Natalie finally said something selfless for once.

"Oh, and thanks for agreeing to be my date to prom." She added with a big smile.

"Huh? When did I do that?" I got confused.

"About an hour ago when most of the guys went to the bathroom." She says.

"But I was still unconscious an hour ago..." I wondered out loud.

"I know. Heath, it's pretty obvious that silence means yes." She rolled her eyes.

"I knew it! Nothing good ever comes when we leave Heath alone with Natalie even for only a minute!" Sphinx pulled at his hair.

"Why didn't I think of that?! Such a neat trick to ask someone out to the prom!" Princeton said more to himself.

"Okay, let's go guys!" Rick clapped his hands and led the rest of the gang out... except for the still unconscious Connor lying on the couch of course.

"Uh, Rick?" I called after him.

"Yeah?"

"Where's my mo--- I mean, the dragon lady?" For some reason, the word 'mom' sounds too strange or too 'foreign' for me to say out loud.

"She's right outside talking to your dad." Rick said with a small smile.

My dad's here?! That means I'm in trouble then.

"Okay. Hey, um, aren't you going to take Connor with you?" I asked.

"He'll probably kill me if I separated him from you. Rest up, Heath and feel better soon." Then out he went through the door.