Chapter 8: Right Back In the Water

First Sphinx, and now Connor's being rather distant, acting all indifferent when I'm around.

I apologized, didn't I? I never really did catch up with what he was talking about me being a distraction.

On the other hand, I also don't know what is up with my best friend lately but he's nowhere to be found today.

"Heath!" I cringed at the sound of her voice.

"Yeah?" I bumped into Natalie when I spun around.

"I bought us tickets to the town fair this coming weekend since that's what friends do, right?" As usual, she was as enthusiastic as ever.

"Um, since when were we ever friends, Natalie?" I arched an eyebrow.

"Since now! Duh..." She shoved the tickets right into my hand before skipping off merrily into the hallways.

"Hey! You WILL come with me right?" She shouted over the crowd of people that were now in between us.

Without thinking, I gave her a nod just to shut her up since her public display of affection was kind of making me feel uncomfortable as I heard people say, "I told you they were going out!" around me.

*HOMEROOM*

"Okay class, today, we have yet another new people to join us." I heard my teacher say as I doodled on my notebook.

I sure felt empty without Sphinx by my side.

"Hey ladies, I'm Wesley Stevenson or Wes for short."

"Thomas Paine."

"Tim."

The 'new students' introduced themselves which made me look up in horror.

"Oh, hey babe!" Wesley waved at me, making people whisper to each other like buzzing bees.

I pretended not to know them so I just looked down.

"Connor sits there." I saw Wesley sitting down beside me.

"Not anymore. It's his fault for being absent..." He smirked.

Well, the guy was sick after all.

"And that's Sphinx's seat." Tom took a seat on the other side of me.

"Who?" He didn't mind anyway.

"Never mind." I shook my head.

Tim just proceeded to take a seat at the back of me.

I began to wonder if Sphinx was feeling unwell too and if I should go check on him at his house by the end of the day.

"Why are you guys here?" I turned to my side to ask Wesley.

"No particular reason. I just wanted to see you everyday and these two decided to tag along since they got bored." He explained like what they're doing is a normal thing.

It's called stalking for me though.

"Hey, want to hang out with us after school?" Tom suggested eagerly.

Tim started to play with my hair at the back which was pretty odd plus Wesley keeps on staring at me.

"No, I can't. I have some business to tend to." Hanging out with a bunch of weird dudes? I think I'll have to pass...

I received a message from Sphinx which says: 'Meet me where we first met after school.'

Where we first met? Hmm... was it in the hallways? Classroom? Ugh, what's with this very short and lacking text message?!