Chapter 5

Loki awoke with her name ringing in his ears.

Today he would begin. By the end of the week he hoped he would have her soul stinging worse than that pretty back of hers. She was a fine sideline to play with as he plotted his escape.

The lights rose and he immediately turned to her.

She was knelt at her washbasin, clearing the tears of yesterday from her face with the cool, fresh water. Drops clung to the swell of her bosom, clearly they had not provided her with a new uniform yet and she was still shirtless. Clearly, without his toying with her, watching her could be fun in itself, Loki thought.

She patted herself dry with the cloth and finally looked up.

“Enjoying the show Asgardian?” she seethed.

Loki let out a laugh and sneered.

“I am no Asgardian, Lady.” he retorted.

“And I am no Lady, oaf.” she spat.

Loki raised an eyebrow. This girl had spirit.

“Do you prefer wench then? Or baggage? Or criminal perhaps, given your current lodgings.”

“Rebecca will suffice.” she replied sarcastically, turning away from him.

Obviously, he would have to work hard with this one.

“Very well... Rebecca, allow me to introduce myself. I am...”

“I know who you are, Trickster God,” she wheeled round on him with the same fire in her eyes as before, “and though you may not know of me, I am very well acquainted with you and the rest of your miscreant family.”

Anger surged in Loki's chest.

“Firstly, you little hell-cat, do not presume to talk to me in such a tone and not expect repercussions!”

He raised his hand and the stripes on her back burned with a white-hot, invisible flame. A scream left her and she dropped to her knees.

“Secondly,” his voice turned sickly smooth at her forced acquiescence, “if you could enlighten me as to why you find yourself so familiar with the Royal Family of Asgard?”

She groaned through her suffering and lifted her head. He knew he could not hold her in pain much longer, he could hear the guards already approaching to investigate her cry. He pushed deeper into her wounds, causing her to wail out the words;

“I was sent to kill you!”