Uncomfortable But Welcome

Start from the beginning

"Another adventure you had, Senator?" Master Yoda laughed, pointing at her.

Riyo grinned. "Yes, Master Yoda." A group of clones emerged from the Temple, with hovers in between them. They took the injured clones and quickly pushed them towards the Temple.

Chancellor Palpatine looked between her and Padmé. At last, he sighed. "You've had a very busy day. We will meet and discuss this tomorrow. Master Jedi, we will expect you at this meeting."

"We'll be there, Chancellor," Master Windu replied.

"Senator Chuchi, you may accompany me," the Chancellor said. He extended an arm. She took it, but glanced at Fox hesitantly. He was already following Padmé back to her ship. Riyo narrowed her eyes, watching him walk. He was leaning heavily to one side, almost as though...

She didn't get to finish the thought as she sat down next to Chancellor Palpatine. They took off flying through the airways of Coruscant, still as busy as ever, even at night. Riyo drew in a breath of night air.

"I had wondered if something like this would happen when I told the two of you about these clones," the Chancellor said at last.

"I'm sorry if we've disappointed you, Chancellor, but I don't regret my actions," Riyo replied. "In fact, I'm hoping that they will speak to the Senate louder than my voice can."

"I'm afraid not, my dear. The Senate will be told that Jedi rescued the clones."

"What? Why?" Riyo's mouth fell open in shock.

"You and Senator Amidala could get into serious trouble for interfering with military affairs, especially in a war zone."

"But Saleucami isn't an active war zone yet," she pointed out.

"It will be now. Already, scouts have reported more Separatist ships moving towards the system. You meant well, but you added another planet to the thousands of systems we must win and hold."

"People do that every day."

"Most people aren't senators for the Republic." Chancellor Palpatine sighed. "And you took Commander Fox along. I can't tell you how risky that was. He could lose his position or worse."

Riyo took his hand in her own and swallowed hard. "Please, Chancellor, don't let that happen. He came because I asked him to."

"I know. I will make sure nothing happens to him." The Chancellor patted her hand.

The speeder slowed as they reached her apartment's landing platform. Riyo jumped out of the speeder with one last look at the Chancellor. She waited until he was out of sight, before grabbing a vase and shattering it on the platform. She stormed into the apartments, her eyes burning.

"Riyo!" Mairin exclaimed. "Where have you been? We've all been worried sick!"

    "I'm fine, Mair." Riyo brushed past her and entered her rooms. Mairin followed. "I went to Saleucami with Padmé and Fox. We rescued three clone commandos."

    "What?" Mairin shrieked. Riyo covered her mouth with a hand. "Are you crazy?" She hissed.

    "Don't worry. We won't get into trouble. The Chancellor is going to tell everyone that Jedi rescued them," Riyo growled. Mairin crossed her arms and waited for Riyo to continue. "That whole mission was for nothing, besides the fact that we saved their lives! Padmé and I went because we wanted to prove that clone lives are worth saving. We hoped to reopen voting on the production of more clones. Now, that's not going to happen."