ONE FOR ONE

Madalyn Addams

Madalyn Addams

"No use in playing stupid, Emmy," Roman said. "I can hear everything in this building and when you arrived, so did four additional, distinctive heartbeats. You didn't come here alone, like you promised. You're just down here to distract us."

He could hear everything in this building? That wasn't something Dick and I had planned for. I just hoped he and the others had enough time to get further in. There was something about the way Roman was watching me that said he hadn't expected me to actually show up alone to begin with, but he was still too much a mystery for me to know what that entailed on his end. Without knowing what else he was capable of, I decided to play along and stall as much I could, hoping Dick, Conner or Gar managed to find Jason soon. With Krypto the super dog sniffing around, it shouldn't be that hard to do.

"Fair enough," I shrugged, playing cool. "but I don't know what you want me to say. Except that... Titans are back bitch."

A look of annoyance flashed on Hurricane's face, though I couldn't imagine why. He turned to whisper something to Roman who nodded his head briefly and watched as Hurricane dissipated into fog. I caught myself stepping forward, nervous to have him out of sight. Hurricane was the only known in our plan and not having him where I could see him meant that anything that came next wouldn't be something I could see coming. Especially not with my manipulative twin and his excess of unpredictable powers.

"Where's he going?" I demanded, hoping my anxiousness came off more as anger.

"To go greet your friends," Roman answered with a smile. "Most particularly your Robin." I gritted my teeth, my hand balling into a fist beside me and he laughed. "Don't fret sis, he promised he won't let him suffer. Much."

"If anyone gets hurt because of him and his stupid jealousy—"

"Yeah, yeah, you'll kill us all," Roman said with a wave of his hands like my words were just that. If he knew me half as well as he pretended to, he would know that I'd already killed him four different ways in my head. Though for all I knew, he'd watched the scenarios play out. "Wouldn't that be a dumb move, though, considering you want answers and I'm the only one who can give them to you?"

"And yet you haven't given me any so far."

"Oh come on, you just got here, Emmy. What am I supposed to do, just blurt everything out on the spot? That's not very conducive for family time, you know."

"You want family time?" I scoffed, inching closer to him if only to make it easier if my pheromones became necessary. "Maybe you should've thought of that before you let CADMUS kill and dump me like unwanted trash. Or rather, before you let them kill and dump Emersyn. Because Emmy is dead, Roman, and she isn't coming back. I'm Madalyn now and I have been for years."

In the distance I heard gunfire echoing off walls, adrenaline speeding through my body as I tried to keep myself focused on my own situation. Still, I couldn't help but worry about the others. Gar and Conner were just children that didn't have anything to do with any of this, Jason had already been through hell and Dick was probably more stubborn and determined than Hurricane. I knew he definitely matched me in that department and whether I liked it or not, he wasn't leaving here until he found who was responsible for anything that ever happened to me. Even if that meant dragging himself across the floor, riddled with bullets.