THE HEIST

I didn't lie when I told Kyle my job was to help the less fortunate.

I just didn't elaborate by explaining that the majority of the time I was them.

I did the whole straight and narrow, being a part of the work force thing for a couple of years but it wasn't nearly as profitable as my after dark activities. Was it more work to steal and sell said stolen goods under the radar? Sure; but that adrenaline rush was always worth it.

Only two people were ever able to catch on to my patterns and clearly neither one of them were actively looking for me. As long as that was true, I wasn't concerned with consequences because they didn't seem like things I needed to worry about it. Especially since, technically, I was only stealing from those who'd stolen.

Tonight wasn't any different; except for maybe the dress code.

The package Kyle had delivered was a gown and mask I'd ordered for the Oceanside Benefit Gala taking place in North Hollywood. It was a fundraiser to help fund the local maritime volunteer program, which I was all for. But after scanning through a few dark web forums, I'd found more than the average amount of rumors that the D'amato family was going to hit the attendees in a big way.

From past experience, I figured that meant they were going to rob them of all their jewels just when the party hit high volume. They'd have two guys on the inside of the party, probably playing at security, who would signal when would be the time to make their move. I would let them take what they wanted but then when they tried to make their getaway, I would swipe it from them. The gown I'd ordered would allow me access to the party as a guest while also smoothly hiding my mission gear underneath.

My "gear" was really just straight legged black cargo pants, steel toed boots and long sleeved midriff top but that didn't make it less vital. It was easier to fight in that then in a dress, especially since I tried to keep use of my powers to a minimum unless necessary.

I didn't need any more crazy shit to happen to me just because of what I could do.

I pulled my car into the lot nearest the party, making for easy getaway access and avoiding use of a valet. I double checked the arrangement of the smoky mask on my face ensuring that it hid the most telling of my features.

I wanted to be sure that they couldn't see the slant of my eyes, the small scar on my right cheekbone, the beauty mark on my left. My hair was down loose on my neck, covering up the soaring bird tattoo there. Aside from the scar at the upper middle of my forehead, which I covered with a simple sweep of my hair across it, those were easy ways for anyone to pick me out of a crowd.

And the D'amato family were not the kind of people I wanted to have a bounty on my head.

The night air was slightly brisk as I walked, which I had expected of an Oceanside Gala, but then I felt slight drops of rain against my shawl and exposed skin. I hoped it was just water falling from an air conditioner as I passed buildings on the street, but the crack of thunder in the distance told me otherwise. I couldn't control the sigh that rattled out of me as I thought of how this set me back in all of my plans.

If it was raining, something no one had been expecting, the Gala would undoubtedly be canceled. It was too short notice to find a replacement venue. And with the Gala, I would be short on the cash I needed, setting me back a month at least.

Of all the times for a drought to end.

I was just reaching the beach location for the party when I noticed a sign announcing the relocation of the event, paired with a black clad security guard pointing the finely dressed guests across the street. It surprised me that they seemed so prepared for the kind of weather that had been missing for months, but then I guess I didn't really know what went into that kind of event planning. I hoped whoever was in charge of the whole thing got paid what they deserved.