OWN WORST ENEMY

Six Years Ago

I didn't wait for Dick that night when I stepped out of the warehouse. I left without a glance back, hopped in the bat mobile and rode straight back to the mansion, trying my best not to bleed on the interior.

If Batman was going to be upset I used the batmobile, at least I could make sure he couldn't complain that it wasn't returned in the condition it was taken.

Considering how much time ahead I had, I was surprised to see Dick pull his bike in next to the batmobile as I climbed out. He leaped off it cleanly and went straight for me, grabbing the wrist of my injured arm and making me hiss out in pain. He dropped his hold quickly and apologized. "Let me take care of that," he said.

"I don't need you to," I snapped. "I'll do it myself."

"Yeah? How?" he countered. "You're left handed and were shot in your left arm. How are you going to stitch that?"

"I'm ambidextrous."

"Bullshit. Let me help you."

"Help me?" I laughed incredulously, looking at him as though he'd gone insane. "Why should I let you do that? Why should I trust you enough to take care of this when you clearly don't trust me?"

"What are you talking about?" Dick said, genuinely seeming confused. "When did I say that?"

"When you went off and nearly got yourself killed rather than let me help you," I answered. "I'd say that's a giant, flashing neon sign saying you don't trust me."

"Really?" he scoffed with a shake of his head.
"Because I'd say that's more of a neon sign saying you're an idiot."

I didn't know why, but the words pissed me off way more than they probably should have. "What the fuck did you just say?"

"You're an idiot," he had the nerve to repeat.

All the adrenaline from the warehouse came flooding back. Left handed or not, my right could land a painful punch.

Dick dodged the hit, grabbing my arm in mid swing and I used the leverage to throw my knee up against his torso. It likely hurt me more than him, but it pushed him back enough for me to pull my arm free, landing a hit against his jaw. He grunted, annoyed, and staggered back against the hood of the batmobile before shooting me a glare. "Madalyn, stop, I'm not going to fight you," he said gruffly.

"Well that's just stupid on your part, isn't it?" I returned, hitting him behind the knee with the heel of my foot.

He stumbled down to one knee and I threw my elbow out to hit him again but he ducked last second and I slammed it into the car window instead. I cursed under my breath at the sharp pain that vibrated up my arm and he used that moment distraction against me. Dick swept his leg out and around to hook around my legs and take them out from under me. I tilted backwards towards the stone floor but before my head could slam into it, Dick had maneuvered himself so his arm cradled my neck. The rest of me still slammed painfully to the ground, reverberating throughout every nerve so I couldn't even think about moving and the next thing I knew, Dick was on top of me.

His knees were on either side of my hips, his strong legs pinning mine down beneath him while his hands kept my wrists pinned painfully above my head, together. Quickly, he freed one of his hands to remove his eye mask, tossing it aside, before placing his hand back. Then he took one of my wrist in each hand and adjusted them to either side of me while still keeping a firm grip.

The new position kept my injured arm from straining too much.

"Get off of me," I nearly hissed at him, trying unsuccessfully to get free.