𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒚

Start from the beginning

"We're looking for Bianca di Angelo," Percy said. "Get lost."

The ghost chuckled. "I understand you once killed my Minotaur with your bare hands. But worse things await you in the maze. Do you really believe Daedalus will help you?"

The other spirits stirred in agitation. Annabeth drew her knife and helps Percy and Ariadne keep them away from the pit. Grover got so nervous he clung to Tyson's shoulder.

"Daedalus cares nothing for you, half-bloods," Minos warned. "You can't trust him. He is old beyond counting, and crafty. He is bitter from the guilt of murder and is cursed by the gods."

"The guilt of murder?" Percy asked. "Who did he kill?"

"Do not change the subject!" the ghost growled. "You are hindering Nico. You try to persuade him to give up on his goal. I would make him a lord!"

"Enough, Minos," Nico commanded.

The ghost sneered. "Master, these are your enemies. You must not listen to them! Let me protect you. I will turn their minds to madness, as I did the others."

"The others?" Annabeth gasped. "You mean Chris Rodriguez? That was you?"

"The maze is my property," the ghost said, "not Daedalus's! Those who intrude deserve madness."

Ariadne glared at the ghost. "Good thing I'm the daughter of madness," she snarled.

Minos looked at the girl with sudden interest. "Ariadne Phoenix." He said her name with a longing, as if remembering his own daughter. "My, how you look like her. Daughter of Dionysus. Daughter of the Vines. You have many names, but I always remember you as my daughters favorite."

"Well," Ariadne said, "I've lived with your daughter, and let me tell you, she hates you."

"She is a goddess now, is she not?" Minos said. "Didn't know how that would ever happen, but she is my kin, and she gives me part of her success."

Ariadne raised Lunacy higher, the purple bling catching Minos's eyes as he seemed to flinch back, as if she could do great damage to him.

"Be gone, Minos!" Nico demanded. "I want to see my sister!"

The ghost bit back his rage. "As you wish, master. But I warn you. You cannot trust these heroes."

There was a fuzzy feeling around the group. Their backs tickled with sizzling heat and they turned around to see a figure pass them and stand before Minos.

"On the contrary, father," a familiar, and melodic voice sounded, "I say Nico should trust these heroes."

Minos's eyes widened. "Ariadne—"

The goddess seemed bored of him and flicked her hand, sending his body to fade back into mist.

Other spirits rushed forward, but Ariadne, Percy, and Annabeth kept them back. The goddess stepped behind her stepdaughter and watched the group.

"Bianca, appear!" Nico intoned. He started chanting faster, and the spirits shifted restlessly.

"Any time now," Grover muttered.

Then a silvery light flickered in the trees—a spirit that seemed brighter and stronger than the others. It came closer, and something told Ariadne to let it pass. It knelt to drink at the pit. When it arose, it was the ghostly form of Bianca di Angelo.

Nico's chanting faltered. Ariadne and Percy lowered their swords. The other spirits started to crowd forward, but Bianca raises her arms and they retreated into the woods.