Aestus, Book 1: The City | Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Founders' Day was always noisy, Jossey thought.

She was very uncomfortable in the tiny seat. The Patrol vehicle was driving slowly through the throng, letting off a few agents at a time. She'd been matched with Zlotnik and Caspar to help keep order.

The smell of fried dough and other Founders' Day special foods wafted through the air. She smiled, remembering how she'd attended with her family as a child, sitting on Father's shoulders, watching Tark dart away through the crowd with Gavin and his other friends. Even as a kid he'd been rowdy.

She looked around apprehensively. Henry had gone over the procedure should anything happen. Batons only, and only to restrain, not to injure. Jossey almost laughed. She was pretty sure she'd only injure herself, if anyone.

Caspar glanced over, face half-invisible behind his mask. "You all set?"

"Not really."

He grinned. "Let's go."

She sighed. "Can we skip this? I just want to get back to tunnel security training." She hadn't signed on to be private security for Council.

Zlotnik lightly elbowed her. "That's a no. Gotta earn your way into the real battles, Sokol."

But she smiled a little.

Jossey followed her out of the vehicle. They were in riot gear, but the crowds seemed peaceful. Up ahead, she could see a tall figure – Gavin. He was standing next to one of the Ministers. She imagined Karapartei, if they were here, wouldn't even think of going anywhere near him.

She stood still, watching people walk nervously past her. She tried to look less threatening. Zlotnik just held her baton at the ready, eyes up, not seeming to care a whit what people thought.

The Council members were all seated on a long decorative stage at the front of the large crowd. Someone was testing a very squeaky audio system.

SCREE. The microphone squawked. Jossey saw a little kid ahead of her jump.

The child looked like her, holding hands with a boy with flaxen hair. She blinked, looked away, forcing back the sudden tears. Now was NOT the time, she told herself angrily.

The Council President, Phillip Macaulay, stepped up to the microphone.

"Citizens!"

His voice rang out around the Square, up and down the walls of the enclosed cavern. The crowd applauded and whistled.

Jossey looked out across the crowd. This mask was remarkably useful, she thought. It enhanced her vision, blocked out glare.

It was the same speech every year, the same thing about freedom and security. Jossey looked around, searching for odd patterns of movement. She shifted uncomfortably – her boots were brand-new and too tight and not helping her concentrate.

She was tall, but standing next to Caspar, she realized how much taller he was. His broad shoulders looked much wider in armor, the black-dyed plates shining dully in the artificial lighting. His dark hair had been tied halfway back and gleamed beneath his mask.

She hoped she looked half as intimidating in her armor.

Now the Minister of Agriculture was up on the stand. She never remembered his name – there were several Council members, and she knew nothing about agriculture, other than that they had somehow run out of chocolate.