Aestus, Book 1: The City | Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Gavin didn't come back for several more days. The others didn't stop by much, either. They had day jobs, Jossey reminded herself.

So did she, if the doctors would ever release her to go do hers.

Her uncle's conversation stuck in her mind. She supposed she didn't have a choice about Patrol, not if the Minister of Intelligence himself had "suggested" her transfer.

To distract herself from both boredom and thinking about anything related to Patrol, she had read and re-read the novels Caspar had brought her, and she was starting to think she should try writing one, just to think about something interesting. Chase Spaulding and co. were not exactly the greatest thriller writers she'd ever seen.

Outside her room, the nurses' scheduling screen flashed on. The light stabbed into Jossey's head, and she flinched, looking away.

No screens. She groaned. It wasn't like there were any good shows on anyway, but she was even willing to watch reality TV at this point.

A nurse opened the door, the hallway screen's light shining through.

Jossey winced and looked away.

"How are you feeling, Miss Sokol?" the nurse asked.

"Honestly – " She gestured to the books. "Do you have anything better?"

The nurse tsked sympathetically. "I'm sorry, we don't, but..."

The door creaked, and both women turned.

Gavin poked his head into the room. "Visitor for Miss Sokol," he said breezily.

"...Commander Tskoulis here is to see you," the nurse finished, blushing. Turning to him, she murmured, "Commander."

She wrote a few hasty scribbles in her notepad, then said something about checking on Jossey in a few hours and hurried out of the room.

Jossey watched her go. "Do you really have to do that to everyone you meet?" she asked. Gavin laughed at her disapproving look and sat down next to her bed.

"It's not on purpose," he said innocently. "I'm just being friendly."

"Uh-huh."

He probably was just being friendly. She'd never seen him express interest toward anyone. Probably didn't know how to, she thought, with all the time he spent fighting Onlar and terrorists and whatever else Patrol did. She half-smiled. Not that she was much better, she thought.

He was wearing his Patrol uniform, and she was surprised as usual at how huge he was even when he sat. But not scary, not to her at least. To her he was just Gavin.

She examined his face. He looked...off. His face was drawn, dark circles under his eyes, but when she looked at him inquisitively he smiled.

"How are you?" he asked. "How's your head?"

She studied his face. "I'm doing okay. What's wrong?"

He winced. "Nothing. Rough week of training. Newbies. They don't know how to be silent up above. We had a couple close calls." Then he grinned. "Enough about me. I'm here to entertain you. I see your book collection is, ah, lacking."

"Enlighten me. I've been reading these 'novels' for the past four hours. I would be willing to listen to quadrant reports at this point."

Jossey tossed the offending books toward her feet. One slid off to the floor.