6. Elias

No, no, this can't be happening.

Zayn searched through his bag once more, ripping everything and throwing his other books onto the floor, only to be met with that sinking feeling that his notebook was not in his possession and all he hoped for was that Harry did not find it. So he immediately made his way out of his bedroom and flew down the hallway, carelessly bumping right into Louis.

"Hey! Watch where the fuck you're going bro!"

But Zayn didn't bother apologizing to Louis and kept moving quickly, zooming out of his front door and making a brave jaywalking jog briskly across the street, dodging a car that honked at him and called him an asshole! but he didn't give a shit. It was already passed six, which meant Harry's shift was over at Daisies but Zayn just continued praying that he left it with Anne or Niall or someone else who was working there. Zayn opened the door forcefully, making a swift speed walk up to the counter only to see Harry's friend Niall was standing there.

"Hey, erm...did you happen to find a notebook that was left here earlier today?" Zayn questioned him nervously.

"Nah, can't say I have. But you can check the lost and found in the back."

"Thanks," replied Zayn and he walked toward toward the back of the shop, his hands shoved deep in his pockets and making no eye contact with anyone around, as he was on a mission.

There was a large, white wicker basket set on a table beside the bathrooms and all he saw were a pair of sunglasses and someone's scarf inside, but nothing else.

Shit.

Zayn pulled his phone out of his back pocket and noticed then that he had a missed call from Harry and Zayn stood there, frozen in time, staring at his screen. Harry had called him one hour ago, it read, while Zayn was passed out and having a great sex dream about him and he hadn't even heard his phone go off.

Should I call him back? What if he found it? What if he read the poem and saw the cartoon drawings of him?

Zayn's thoughts bashed through his mind like bees attacking as if someone disturbed their hive, his nerves getting the best of him and he felt his hand trembling. But he had to call him back. He had to. So Zayn hit the dial button next to Harry's number and it started ringing. And it kept ringing. And ringing. But Harry didn't answer. Zayn groaned and closed his eyes shut tight.

Why do I have the worst luck ever?

He exited Daisies feeling a lurch in his stomach, nauseating him, and he reached into his jacket pocket, pulling out his pack of cigarettes and lighting one up to calm his anxiety. Then, he peered out across the street and saw Harry walking on the sidewalk, looking down at his phone. And then Zayn's phone rang.

"Hello?" Zayn answered, blowing smoke into the wind.

"So I guess we're playing phone tag. You left a notebook at Daisies and I was coming over to bring it to you. Are you home?"

Zayn took another long drag of his cigarette and paused for a moment as he watched Harry walk up to his front porch, just standing there in the streetlight across from him.

"Yeah I'll be there soon."

So Zayn crossed the street within a few minutes, trying to remind himself to breathe as he made his way to his apartment and Harry turned around, looking over his shoulder at him. He smiled softly and took the black notebook out from under his arm, handing it over to Zayn.

"Here you are," he said.

"Thanks. I was looking everywhere for this. It has all my notes in it for a paper I'm writing and I really didn't want to have to start over," Zayn responded, half lying, because he really didn't give a shit about his notes.