P A R T - E I G H T E E N

Chapter Eighteen: The Discussion.
Monday, January 3rd, 2022
________________________________________

"You'd like to, what? Sorry?" Alice's professor asked, needing to clarify what she'd just said.

"Fire my mentor," Alice replied, adjusting her large text books in her arms as she stood with a neutral expression and her long hair held back by a thick black headband. She was dressed in an oversized white shirt, covered with a large, soft, grey sweater held together with a chunky black leather belt. Over the top, she had a fitted black blazer, and wore thick tights and cushy sneakers for comfort and warmth.

"Fire?" The professor replied and hesitated for a moment as he took off his glasses. Amara and Catherine were waiting by the door of the lecture theatre, watching quietly. "And who's your mentor again?"

"Meredith Thornton," Alice replied, as she analysed her professors expression. "She's actually been more unhelpful than helpful, and has spent the majority of the time turning our every encounter into a competition rather than help me learn, so, I'd like a different mentor."

"Christ," Her professor replied and cleared his throat. "Well, I'll have a look to see who I have available." He continued and Alice smiled, forcing a relieved look to take over her expression.

"Thank you." She smiled, "I know I sound neurotic, but I just want to get the best out of this semester." She then added, "Sorry for being annoying-"

"You're not being annoying, I completely understand." Her professor reassured her with an understanding nod, "I'll see what I can do."

"Thank you, sir." She smiled again and excused herself and made her way over to her friends. "Should we go get something to eat? I'm starving," she then said as the three of them left the lecture theatre and walked out into one of the grand hallways of Oxford University.

It was the first day back for the second semester, and the hallways were bustling with students hurrying to get to a class or calmly leaving one. Various languages could be heard being spoken, but it all seemed to blur into background noise as the three girls made their way to their closest campus café. It was a cold, dark and fairly grey day, with thick clouds threatening to release a downpour over the city, although so far it had been dry, since the intense wind carried the weather away as fast as it brought it.

The University's café named The University Club, delivered a range of services from the minute it was open at eight o'clock in the morning until ten o'clock at night. It seemed to offer everything, from full meals to café snacks, then bar drinks in the evening. It had a gym and auditorium, rooms to rent for visiting alumni or guest speakers. Alice had only been there a few times to briefly stop for coffee but wanted to hang out more in the spaces the university provided to really get a feel of where she was, and not feel like so much of an outsider anymore.

The club was bustling with students, although now that it was moving into the early afternoon it was quieter than it usually was since most people were at their classes. "I'll find us a seat," Catherine smiled,

"What do you want to eat?" Alice asked, already producing her card from her purse as they walked up to the bar to order as there were menus provided.

"Anything, I'm not picky and I don't have any allergies." She giggled and walked off to find a nice spot for them to relax. Once Alice had ordered and paid they found Catherine by the tall glass windows that looked out over the private sports field on a table for three. She was watching one of the teams train for rugby, a sport which was very similar to American football, although there was no protective gear worn.