023

! chapter twenty-three !

─── ∙ ~ ✩ ~ ∙ ───

"WOW," LUNA MUSED, STEPPING into the room as Haven stared at herself in the mirror. She very rarely wore dresses, in fact, the last time she could remember wearing one was at the Yule Ball. It wasn't like she didn't enjoy putting on makeup, and pulling on formal gowns, it was that the Dudley's never bought either of the twins anything nice. Haven had been stuck wearing Harry's old t-shirts for years until Petunia finally started to buy her woman's clothing. "You look gorgeous! Draco is going to go absolutely crazy once he sees you in it."

"You think red is my color?"

"Everything is your color," Luna said with a grin.

"She's right," Malory agreed, announcing her arrival. Haven turned to gawk at her. She was wearing a silver dress that went about mid-thigh, and her hair had been straightened. "You look wonderful."

"You as well, Mal," Haven smiled warmly at her. "I can't believe my brother finally managed to pluck up the courage and ask you."

"It's just a Christmas party..." Malory defended shyly. "And we're going as friends."

"But it's progress," Haven reminded her. She suddenly glanced up to the clock hung on the wall. "I've gotta go. You gonna wait here?"

Malory nodded, her face reddening. "Harry will be here in ten minutes."

With one last goodbye, Haven made her way to the common room, before she pulled open the door to step into the hallway. It was a bit colder out there, and she resisted the urge to shiver. Haven glanced down to her left, looking down the deserted hall. She felt her shoulders sag in disappointment when she didn't see Draco anywhere. But then, someone tapped her arm, and she spun around to face them.

"You didn't actually think I was just not going to show up, did you?" Haven let out a breathy laugh, her eyes trailing down his body as she took in his appearance. As usual, he was wearing a dark tuxedo. But instead of black, the shirt under his jacket was a crimson red. The color matched her dress almost perfectly. "Like what you see?" Draco questioned in a teasing tone, and she rolled her eyes.

"I'm shocked you took my advice and actually matched with me."

"Well, you are my date, correct?"

"I'm gonna assume so, otherwise all of this was for nothing."

Much to her surprise, Draco offered her an arm, and she linked hers through it as he began to lead her up the stairs. She didn't know why the action shocked her so much, she knew he had been raised in a very formal way. The Malfoy's were one of the biggest known wizarding families, of course Draco had some sort of manners. "You know, I actually despise parties."