4.4

Elizabeth knocked at the door to Rosalie's hospital room

Elizabeth knocked at the door to Rosalie's hospital room. She sat there, tear-stained cheeks and broken in her hospital bed. Her hand laid above the small table. She tried to move it, and the nurse tried to reassure her, but she couldn't possibly move her hand.

"Miss Tyler?" She asked carefully. The girl looked up. "Hi, I'm Doctor Anderson, I came by to check on you earlier. Do you remember?"

"Yes," Rosalie answered. "I do—" her chest heaved and she took a deep breath, "I do remember." Her face resembled a sheet of paper, white and almost see-through with the light coming in through the window.

If the heart monitor hadn't beeped so loudly, anyone could've thought she was already dead.

"I brought some friends of mine from the FBI. Sergeant Brown here is a supervisor for the Army's Special Forces. Is it okay for them to come in?"

Rosalie nodded. "Everything that helps find the person responsible for this," she said.

Skylar pulled out her badge. "I'm Special Agent Brown," she introduced herself. The girl nodded. "This is my partner Doctor Reid and... and you were already introduced to Sergeant Brown."

Rosalie waved at them with her functioning hand. "Hi."

Skylar understood how she felt. Vulnerable, anxious, victimized, and completely tied to her hospital bed with no escape because every little step could jeopardize her health. Of course, Skylar had never been paralyzed, but the hospital aspect alone brought back memories from years and years back. Memories that led her to the conclusion that hospitals were bad places, cruel places, cursed places. Places where bad things happen. So yes, she understood very well how lonely Rosalie felt at this very moment and the moments that would follow after their interview.

The nurse walked up to Elizabeth to whisper in her ear, "She can't move her left side. The doctors say there's nothing they can do without the antidote."

The information was clear, clear enough at least, but none of this was okay. It was unfair. Rosalie was not at all involved in the unsubs' agenda and it angered Skylar, specifically, that she was incapable of doing anything to change the girl's current condition.

"Miss Tyler—" she began. Rosalie cut her off.

"Please, call me Rosalie," she said. Her chest heaved with a heavy breath and she coughed loudly. "S-sorry. It's just... I'm not that old yet. I think we can drop the formalities for now." She chuckled.

The nasal ventilator provided her with air, but it was barely enough to keep her lungs from collapsing. Eventually, they would.

"Though if I look at your faces, I'm not sure I will ever get old..."

Skylar sighed. "I would love to tell you that you shouldn't be worried right now, but I'm afraid I can't do that," she said. "Not yet, at least. What I can tell you is that I won't rest until we have the son of a bitch that did this to you!"