Unknown Enemy Strategies - Chapter 5

The soft grass crunched as the demons landed on them, sweat running off them from flying so much. Fletcher and Fiunt dismounted from Ignatius, the drake being left with no more energy. Fletcher thanked his demon and gave him some carnivorous treats that he had in his pocket. Ignatius took them gratefully and fletcher infused him. He also summoned Athena, and she happily jumped on his shoulder and nuzzled him.

"Right everyone, be on high alert. These trolls could be anywhere." Arcturus declared, looking around the landscape: Rolling hills and forests -Fletcher got a shiver down his spine. Arcturus was right, they could hide easily on this land. Not to mention that they probably knew the area better than them, even Fiunt. They unloaded the gear from the demons, and the bags on their own backs. Fletcher went to Aeschylus for a tent bag, and his arm lightly brushed on Sylva, who was going for a pack of sleeping bags. Their eyes met for milliseconds, so quick that they might not of even looked at each other. Sylva froze and tensed, her long, triangular ears flattening up against her head. She rushed off, near dropping her bags. Fletcher sighed, mentally punching himself. He saw Arcturus and Othello giving him strange looks, and feel Captain Lovett staring right through him from behind. He continued his chore of setting up the camp.

Just as sunset dawned, 3 tents were set up around a pile of kindling sticks and rocks that was going to act as their fire for the while. They set up their sleeping arrangements, and Fletcher was staying with Arcturus. He would of gladly stayed in with Othello, but there was only so much of that cheese-feet smell that he could handle, so Fiunt was staying with him, after he said that he was used to living with people with bad-smelling feet. Sylva and Captain Lovett were sleeping together. Sacharissa ran in and out of the tent, barking and howling with excitement. They smiled at the canid's enthusiasm. Darkness spread over the sky like a blanket now, and the only light for miles apon miles was their small fire. Sitting on fallen logs, they ate their dinner. Canned food was the main diet, and if they caught any live meat, that would be consumed as well. Fletcher couldn't help himself as his eyes strayed to Sylva. Her sky blue eyes were staring into the fire, flames reflecting into her soul. Fletcher felt his cheeks flush as he admired her awe-striking beauty. He guiltily looked away, knowing damn well that he had hurt her. Again, the harsh sting of regret flooded him. He went back to his can of beans. They weren't the nicest of meals, but would do well for the kind of hungry traveller as he. Tiredness slowly took them all, and they retired to the tents.
Fletcher followed Arcturus, their demons trailing behind. They settled into the bags, demons curling themselves around their masters.
"So....what's going on with you and Sylva?" Arcturus, breaking the silence. Fletcher stiffened, not expecting the battlemage to ask such a personal question. Fletcher stammered before spurting out a "nothing".

'oh, ya real convincing' he thought to himself.

"Sure........don't tell me. You know, it can really damage a team's dynamic. Or their friendship." Fletcher looked ashamed, and Arcturus knew something bad happened. That Fletcher must of done something.

"I....kind of....well....pushed it too far...." (in more ways than one, Fletch).
"What do you mean by that?" Arcturus asked, confused at the younger man's stutterings. Then, with a deep breath, Fletcher confessed to everything that night. He was embarrassed, ashamed and guilty by the end of it, but it did feel better to get it off his chest to someone he trusted as much as Arcturus. He looked up at him, and saw he was red in the face, his mouth hanging slightly open.
"Uh...uh.....oh.." Arcturus was the one now stuttering, the usually calm and ready summoner now acting like a child that just got explained how babies were made. He cleared his throat.
"I wouldn't know what to do, honestly. I'm not prepared for that kind of thing. I'm sorry, Fletcher." Fletcher just nodded at kept staring at his feet. Athena gave him a comforting lick.
"Well, for now, I think that the best thing to do is let it pass. You should apologise, and hopefully she will forgive you." Arcturus finished with a soft goodnight and both males rolled over to sleep.

-----

They were scouting through the fields of untouched grass. The sun was bright in the sky, and Fletcher wondered where they were going. It seemed that Captain Lovett was leading them instead of Fiunt, for some reason. Fletcher ran up to the front to ask.
"Captain Lovett, where are we going?" He asked, looking at the dark haired woman. She smiled and turned her head to look at him.
"Please, fletcher, call me Elaine. That counts for all of you. Now, we're going wherever Valens is telling me to go. He senses something that he wants us to check out." Fletcher fell back and continued to follow the group. Sylva still refused to look or even acknowledge him. It hurt Fletcher. They soon came apon a low cut terrain, like a green hole that was as big as a palace. And in it, were hundreds of trolls. The Unit S launched backwards, trying to avoid the gaze of the horrible creatures.
Fletcher saw Arcturus and Elaine flatten themselves against the embankment, and followed suite. They looked like they knew what they were doing, after all, and battling orcs and goblins for years wouldn't of taught them nothing. He saw the rest of the group them doing the same. Fletcher heard heavy marching coming closer, and the sniffing of canid-like demons closing in on them. Fletcher prepared himself for the first battle with the trolls.

He loaded his pistols and drew out his khopesh, the blade gleaming in the hot sunlight. The sounds of the enemy grew closer to the now battle-ready group. Fletcher summoned both his demons, and saw that Solomon was just being summoned, and that Arcturus' and Elaine's demons were already out.

An ugly, armoured head poked around the corner, only to be stopped by the swing of Othello's axe. It screamed and collapsed to the ground, and yells erupted from behind it. Then, an anubid ran around the corner, its muzzle coated with white, foamy saliva. It lunged at the nearest thing, which happened to be Sacharissa. She neatly dodged it, and bit down on the anubid's stomach as it passed. It screamed in pain, and Lysander ran for it from behind. The rest of the group ran on, leaving the two to battle the enraged anubid. A wall of trolls blocked the path, their toothy faces grim. Fletcher ran to one of the trolls, the others copying. Fletcher's khopesh collided with a stone sword, and with the other hand, stabbed the beast with a small knife he got off Uhtred. Blood spilled out and it swung its arms frantically, the life slowly draining from it.

-----

The battle still raged on hours later, and bodies littered the ground, both trolls and demons, but there still seemed to be more. Somehow, none of their group had fallen. Fletcher was covered with blood and sweat, and injuries adorned his body. Ignatius and Athena didn't look too hot either, also covered with injuries. So was everyone else. But yet, the trolls pressed on, forcing the heroes back. They were losing. The demons were snapping at the enemies best they could, but the lack of energy and blood were taking a big toll on everyone. Then, a gigantic troll grabbed Fletcher by the neck and slammed him onto the floor. It swept its arms and knocked Elaine off her feet, and the trolls took that distraction to their advantage and floored the rest of them. Fletcher's breath was draining out of him. He didn't even have any mana left, having used it all to take out some of the horde of demons and trolls. When they thought all hope was lost, a black blur flashed past fletcher, and the troll was gone. Fletcher leaped up, seeing a black creature ripping the troll apart savagely. More demons rushed past, and the other trolls met the same fate. The tables had been turned, and the remaining enemies realised this. They fled, some still falling to the recent addition of demons. But one stayed. A real fat specimen rumbled towards them. Then, two weapons were drove into his neck. The glazed stare of death covered its eyes as it fell to the ground. Two people stood behind it , and the new demons ran to the warriors' side. The two summoners had come to help.