In the Barn - Chapter 12

Hey guys. I was gonna combine this chapter with the next one, but that would make it too long. Also, my friend Onion is laughing at me because I ended up making 12 summoner memes. The Onion thinks I've gone crazy; they might not be wrong. Anyways, enjoy, and don't be afraid to comment thoughts and suggestions. I love interacting with whoever wants to.

-----

3 weeks passed by Fletcher while in hiding. They had decided to make a temporary base near a canyon next to the Vesanian Sea in a few old, abandoned stables and barns. Only Arcturus and Elaine knew where they were, and rarely visited. The four of them hadn't seen the two since the first two days when they had dropped them off and given them supplies of food. They had fashioned a tack room into their bedroom, using the blankets they had been given by Arcturus, straw that was lying about, and old saddle pads. The four of them had their demons out on a constant to keep watch, and provide safety if needed. Living like this made them all on edge. They had been given a pack of cards by Arcturus, as well as a few empty books and charcoal pencils to ease their boredom as much as possible. So far, Fletcher had won seven of fifteen games, and used four of his pages.

Fletcher cracked his back and sat up from the hard floor. He was frustrated at being cooped up in the stable that smelled of must and grime, and that he was being treated like a lowlife criminal just for loving someone. He strode to a horse stall with a broken gate and kicked a manger of hay. The only one who bothered to look was Seraph. The random movements of aggravation and violence were common for all of them by now. Ignatius mewled from beside Fletcher and Sylva's bed and continued looking at his master, chewing at bits of hay. Fletcher lowered his shoulders. He went to Othello, looking down. In those three weeks they had been here, Fletcher had apologised to Othello and Seraph so much at had become like a prayer. He had given up by now. He still felt guilty, but repeating that he was sorry didn't change the fact that they were still here. They could hear rain drumming against the roof above them. A rat scurried on the rafters, and Fletcher saw Athena silently speed past, and seconds later he heard the death throes of the rat. Fletcher's demon returned to the ground with a thin tail peaking from her mouth. She slurped it down and fluffed her feathers. Fletcher would have tried to strike up a conversation, but all that wanted to be said had already been uttered days earlier. The only good conversation they had was on the appearance of Seraph's new demon, one that he acquired from King Harold after Arcturus and Elaine's wedding. It was an akhlut, an orca-like demon that walked like an encantado, and had a long, fleshy tail. Seraph had named it Aloc. Sylva picked up a whetstone from her bag and began to sharpen her blade. The rhythmic, continuous scraping of the stone on the steel lulled Fletcher. He would go mad with no noise. Solomon grumbled from his spot on the floor and knocked Othello's foot. The dwarf barely paid any mind.

From beside the dripping water tap, Erilite raised her head and pricked her ears as Athena sat up. The two demons looked at the large, barricaded doors. The group noticed this behaviour, and Sylva stopped sharpening her blade, and shifted it to her sword hand. Fletcher grabbed his bow and nocked an arrow as Othello grabbed his tomahawk. The door was knocked, and the demons relaxed. A moment later, Arcturus' voice was heard from outside.

"Open up, it's sopping wet out here." The Quadro made a collective sigh of relief and unbarricaded the door, letting Arcturus in from the torrential weather. A horse was led in after him and stored in an undamaged stable. He took off his coat and hung it up on a peg. He rubbed his hands together, looking at each of the teenagers. He dragged a crate over and sat on it.

"Right then. First off, how are you all doing?" The only response the man got was a collection of grumbles and shoulder shrugs. Arcturus sent them pitying looks.

"That bad, huh? I'm sorry it's like this. We're doing the best we can. It's chaos out there. The Pinkertons are out like maggots, turning towns upside down looking for you all. They've only made it as far as Vocans castle, though, so it'll take them a good while to get up here. Even so, we're keeping you all here for another week before we move you all. Good news is, all of your families have been warned and moved. Of course, your homes were the first place the law searched, and afterwards, they left your family be, Seraph, and your mother too, Fletcher." The two boys relaxed slightly. Athena mewled.