For the Road Ahead - Chapter 4

The fly to the Anvil was excruciating. Fletcher hated the icy silence between him and Sylva. It had been like this since he lost control on her last night. His guilt was immeasurable, and he knew there wasn't anything he could do yet. He hoped that he could save at least their friendship. They passed over the brick roofs and pathways filled with people. The enormous palace soon came into view, and they dismounted off Ignatius. Sylva didn't even look at him, just walked for the door. Ignatius shot him a look before Fletcher infused the drake. Fletcher sighed and headed for the doors.

He entered the throne room, travelling bag on his back. Sylva and Captain Lovett were gone, most likely to get some things for Sylva in the elf forest. He knew he wouldn't be able to speak to her for a couple hours, judging on how far away the elven forest was. At least Lysander was quick. Fletcher surveyed the room, looking at the people in it. Cress wasn't coming on their journey, but was here to help them get ready. Uhtred was also there with Briss, helping the group, and fixing broken weapons and torn clothes. Othello was talking to them about his new firearm, a recent make in weapons; a revolver. Arcturus was talking to Harold about their plan and how to commence in their mission. They all agreed that Arcturus would lead them through thick and thin in those unknown lands. Sacharissa came up to Arcturus and nuzzled his palm, and he replied by scratching her behind the ear. The black canid hummed in appreciation. It was just going to be the five of them on this giant, important, deadly mission. Fletcher felt fear bubble up in his abdomen, but it was quenched when he felt a wave of reassurance from Athena and Ignatius. At least his demons were going to be with him. Arcturus and Captain Lovett had each other, as well as Sacharissa, Buck, Valens, Lysander and Aeschylus. Othello had Solomon and Pria. But Sylva, well, hopefully she saw him as her safety net. They really needed to get her a new demon soon. Sorrow welt up in his heart as he remembered the heroic sacrifice her canid, Sariel, had made to make sure that all of them made it out of the orc pyramid safely. He also remembered how Sylva had blamed him for her demon's death, how she lashed out at everyone in anger. He didn't hate her then, and didn't hate her now. He knew he would've acted similar if one of his demons passed. Just then, Arcturus clapped his hands at the people in the room, drawing their attention to him.
"Right now, my friends. Harold has some important news to give us." King Harold walked beside him and set his hand on Arcturus' shoulder with a grateful smile.
"I've already talked Sylva and Captain Lovett through this before they left for the elven forest. I have asked two of my most loyal and powerful summoners to meet you at the new land, which we've named Liborum. You will be in good hands, because they are as good as Arcturus and Elaine! They are soldiers that have spent most of their time fighting the most dangerous and bloodthirsty beasts out there. I also believe that they're related, too. I don't know what their demons are, but I've heard good tales from the front. One fights the North border, the other fights in the South. You'll see when you all get there. You will be travelling by your demons. A guide who already knows the route will take you there and might assist your task in the battle. He is also summoner. Oh! One last thing. Your team, which should list Fletcher, Sylva, Othello, Arcturus and Elaine, needs a name. So, we hope you like Unit S. The S stands for summoners. Now, we wait." The King took a long breath after the speech.

"Any questions?" He asked. Othello stood up.

"I hope this new guide isn't going to be like Jeffery, cause we're not dealing with that again." The King smiled reassuringly at the dwarf.

"No, I know him personally. He had a best friend who was an elf, so there's no lingering racism with him." Othello sat back down, satisfied with the answer. Fletcher raised his hand.

"Where is this new land? How will us and our demons fight these trolls? Can you tell us a bit more about them?" He questioned, standing up as he did so.