Going Downhill - Chapter 11

Fletcher woke up with dimmed sunlight streaming through gaps within drawn curtains. He lifted his head from the pillow on which it lay, and looked round. His head thudded mildly, making him wince. The events of the previous night came to him quickly as he recollected that he was in a guest bedroom of the Anvil. Sylva lay beside him, her breathing slowed and sleepy. He smiled and kissed her head before pulling himself out of her arms and lifted himself off the bed. Throwing his feet over and to the ground, he yawned and stretched, grabbing his boots and putting them on. With that, he left the room, delicately closing the bedroom door behind him. he walked down the stairs to the main part of the tavern, which only contained about six people; four of which were Arcturus, Elaine, Uhtred and Briss. They looked up at him in greeting and Briss ran off to get him some breakfast. Fletcher sat down beside Arcturus and yawned again. The battlemage smiled at him and passed a letter to Fletcher that Arcturus had been reading previously.

"Here, we've been summoned to the palace later today. It's probably about the mission's success, so don't get too worked up about it. It's not until three, so everyone has an hour or so longer to sleep before we'll get them up." Fletcher nodded at him and read over the letter that was passed to him.

Corcillum Palace

Addressed to,

Captain Arcturus, Captain Elaine Lovett, Lord Fletcher Raleigh, Elf Sylva Arkenia, Dwarf Othello Thorsager, Lord Seraph Pasha.

The named individuals are to report to the palace at the third hour of today to be present to the King.

Sincerely,

Royal Palace messenger

"Why are they asking for Seraph if it's about the mission? And why not summon Fiunt, and Arthur and Rowan?" Fletcher asked Arcturus as Briss arrived with food and set it down in front of him. Arcturus shrugged and drank from his tankard.

"Not sure, Fletcher, but still, doesn't seem bad. Don't think we're in trouble." He playfully knocked Fletcher's shoulder and smiled. Fletcher quietly laughed and began to eat his breakfast. The rest of their friends soon began to trickle down the stairs, joining them in the morning feast that Briss had prepared. Cress was the last down, looking grumpy and frazzled. She perked up, though, when she sat down and began to eat. When everyone had full stomachs, Arcturus asked them to get ready to head to the palace for the summoning.

Fletcher finished pulling on his clothes, newly cleaned and washed for the meeting at the palace. When he finished, he joined Elaine and Othello downstairs, who were ready to go. When the rest had joined them, they headed off, choosing to walk to the palace then ride their demons over. They strode through the streets, waving and greeting whoever brought a cheer to them. When they reached the grand, rich entrance of the palace. They were let in by the guards, and led to the meeting room.

When they were led to the doors, the guard pushed them open, and the Unit were greeted by a fearsome sight. Old King Alfric was sitting at the largest and finest seat, with King Harold sitting in a slightly less fine seat, looking emotionless, but Fletcher could still see the fear and worry in his eyes. It made the young Lord nervous and fearful. Upon further look, Fletcher could see Damien Rook and Zacharias Forsyth sitting with smiling faces. The Unit was told to sit. When done so, Old Alfric clapped his hands.

"Let us cut to the chase. Boys, come in!" The old man yelled. The doors opposite them opened, and two men scurried in and sat down. They looked pasty and middle-aged, and both sweating like pigs. Fletcher thought they looked familiar. They were followed closely in by Ophelia and Charles Faversham, who gave the old King a smile. When the King decided suitable, he spoke harshly to the two strange, middle-aged men.