Chapter 25: Dates and Confessions

Start from the beginning

"Of course, you were the new student and I was being bullied by Abigail but you pushed her down the slide in the wrong way so that got her foot stuck after she poured sand into my ice cream. You offered to share yours with me and so we became friends" I smile.

"Really? That's how we became friends? I thought it would be more dramatic, more epic" I throw a pillow at her, she dodges it and throws it back at me.

"Shit! I have to go pick up my cousin." She says as she puts on her shoes, "Oh you mean Mark?"

"Yeah, he usually comes to visit me because of Isabelle. I think he has a crush on her" she whispers in the last part, "Isabelle's birthday is in four days,   " I nod, already having ideas about how to plan her birthday but first I have to get her to speak more than one word.

"Byeeee" I hug her, "Bye" she walks home and I sit down to watch TV. My mom and dad came into the house with Ernest who looked like he wrestled a mud puddle and lost "What happened?" I frown at my giggling brother.

"Well, we took Ernest to the park and the rest is self-explanatory" my mom gestures to his muddy shirt "Ahh,"

After my mom changed Ernest she came to sit down with my dad and me in the sitting room and I decided to ask them about Isabelle, I reduced the volume of the TV, "What happened to Isabelle?" I ask, and my mom sighs. Her expression turns sad.

"Ever since she woke up, she's been... different, always distancing herself from us, never smiling. The first week with her back with us was the worst. She wouldn't even talk to anyone," my dad says pulling my mom into his arms.

"We tried taking her to a therapist but Isabelle didn't talk to the therapist so we stopped going to the sessions because it was obvious she was not going to talk" my mom continues her voice breaking as she speaks.

"I'll try making her talk, but right now I'm really sleepy" I walk to my room ready to sleep with only one thought in my head: a grey-eyed demon.

Stupid mark!

I wake up to the sun sipping through my room, chirping happily...well that's a lie, I wake up to the sound of my mom's voice yelling for me to wake up or else I'd be late for work. I remove my nightgown and pull the showerhead off.

I put on an oversized sweater and blue jeans, my regular outfit to work. "Good morning" I greet as I eat the pancakes made by my mom. I wish I had her cooking skills. "Morning" my parents' murmur, Isabelle's seat is empty and I sigh, I miss my sister.

"Okay, bye" I wave.

Late in the morning the bell to the cafe rings and I go to take their orders only for me to stop in my tracks when I see Xanthus sitting on a chair with a small smile on his face. My mark burns happily at his sight, hell, even I'm tempted to smile at him but I keep a stone face.

"Hello, what do you want today?" just act like you don't know him Aurora I think to myself.

"Aurora, sit," he says and I roll my eyes "I'm working and what are you even doing here?" I ask putting my hands on my hips"Well, my guards told me you do not want their presence and I miss my mate so I decided to come to visit her because she thinks she can survive without me" I ball my hands into fists.

He thinks I'm unable to survive without him! How dare he! I think to myself in anger.

I sit down and face him with an irritated expression on my face "It's just been two days, you can't possibly miss me. Oh and I can and I will survive without you!" I say sassily.