Thorin x Short!Reader - Christmas Request!!!🎅🏻

Hi everyone!!

Warning for this one - it is a Christmas themed (kind of) request!! Just in case anyone thinks it may be too early to think that far ahead!!!

Also, how funny would it be to see the company doing the Hokey Cokey???😂😂

Anyway...

—————————

You still hadn't fully adjusted to the world that you had woken up in 6 weeks ago. The company had begun to accept you, and surprisingly, it had been Dwalin that taught you most of what you know. He had told you about the journey, all about Thorins past, and he had even begun to teach you how to handle a sword. Though you were quite a way off being trusted to protect the company yet.

When you had been thrown into the world that was Middle Earth, you'd managed to totally annoy Thorin. You didn't understand why or how you had, but the first two days of you joining the company, he had avoided you at all costs. He would make sure he was the furthest away from you when travelling, he grunted instead of answering when you asked questions, and he rarely made eye contact. The rest of the company had trouble believing that you were a human, especially since the only one who was taller than you was Dwalin.

You wondered for a while how you had managed to upset the King so badly, until he had caught you awake one night, sitting up from your bedroll with a sigh and standing heading to the tree line. That night, he had finally spoken to you properly. You had told him all about your world, his eyes widening more with every new story. In return, he had told you the stories of his youth and all the troubles that the company had faced so far. You'd talked and joked until the rest of the camp began to awaken and you had even made him laugh properly at one point, a guffawing belly laugh that echoed in your mind long after the company had begun on their journey once more.

Thorin had made the effort to talk to you more after that night. Riding next to you to hear stories about mud pies from your childhood, or how you had broken your leg falling out of a tree. Dwalin and Thorin both teased you about the unbelievable things you told them, telling you that there was no cure for crazy. You had laughed with them and slowly, the rest of the company began to listen to your stories too. It became a routine on an evening that you would tell them a story before bed. Not the same stories you told them when travelling. No, you would tell them the tale of Robin Hood and his merry men, or a fairytale from your childhood. You were working your way towards teaching them the Hokey Cokey. But that was for warmer weather and happier times. The reclamation of Erebor would suffice.

It was getting colder now, the nights drawing in much earlier, and you knew that this was winter. Which meant you were one step closer to Christmas. You smiled in delight when you awoke one morning to find frost bitten tree branches and the memorable chill in the air of Jack Frost. Humming in delight, you jumped from your bedroll and began to get ready for the day. Christmas had always been your favourite time of year and to say you were excited was an understatement.

For the rest of the day, the other dwarves and Bilbo too, all paid attention to the song you sang on repeat. They normally would grow tired of the repetitive verses, but they were all fascinated with the words used in the song. Far too busy thinking about your favourite festivities, you didn't notice that the sky had grown darker and soon enough, you were stopping for the night, the company going about their normal routine. Thorin approached you cautiously, listening carefully for your singing. He did not hear it and so announced himself by calling your name when he was close enough for you to hear. You turn and greet him with a smile.

'Hi Thorin' you call back, folding the blanket in your hands before turning to face him properly.

'Y/N, may I speak with you?' He asks, extending his arm out to point to the quieter side of camp. You nod and follow behind as he leads you away from prying eyes, all of which seem to follow your journey through the camp, observing you both. Thorin comes to a stop inside the tree line and turns to you. You fiddle with your hands nervously, wondering what conversation would warrant complete privacy. Thorin opens his mouth the speak and then stops again.

'Thorin? What is it?' You ask cautiously and he sighs, dropping his head.

'I have a confession but it is difficult to find the words to use to tell you' his voice shakes slightly and you frown, moving closer to him and gently taking his hands. This gesture seems to shock Thorin but you think nothing of it, this being normal to comfort someone in your world.

He takes a deep breath and swallows hard before meeting your eyes.

'I'm just going to say this. I think you are my One.' His pause is unsettling and he watches intently as your eyebrows scrunch and your eyes look from him to the ground.

'Thorin, I don't..-I don't know what that means?' Your voice is quiet and gentle, desperately trying to figure out his words. Thorin smiles reassuringly and turns his hands to face yours, palm to palm as he holds you as though you will break.

'For Dwarves, we don't go through the boy friend thing you talked about yesterday. For a Dwarf, we have a One. A single true soulmate that we feel an instant connection to. One person whom we spend our existence with' his explanation shocks you and your breath catches in your throat.

'I'm not asking you to marry me Y/N.' He chuckles afterwards and you feel your breathing return to a somewhat normal pace.

'What are you asking then?' You respond, trying to regain some composure. He smiles shyly, the most innocent and vulnerable you had seen Thorin.

'Remember the story of courting that me and Fili told you about? You called it dating but said it was essentially the same thing?' His voice is low now. You nod in response, not trusting your voice.

'Y/N, I would like, if you allow it, to court you' he declares and you feel lightheaded, your eyes widening slightly. You take a moment. You had an affinity for Thorin, something that drew you to stay awake and talk for hours with him, something that caused butterflies whenever you saw him riding up to travel next to you. There was something there and you couldn't deny that.

After a moment, you tighten your grip on his hands.

'Okay, I will agree to a courtship Thorin' you say slowly, the words feeling foreign to you. Thorins eyes light up and he cautiously pulls you into a soft and warm hug, not wanting to scare you. You wrap your own arms around his and hold him for what feels like hours. He walks you back to camp, the dwarves seeing his arm around your shoulders and cheering in joy. You hide your face bashfully and avoiding looking at the group for fear of embarrassment. Thorin chuckles and holds you tighter as he leads you to a space around the campfire.

After a couple of hours, everyone has calmed themselves down and have taken to their normal evening activities, leaving only a couple of the older members sat around the fire now.

'I've never spent Christmas with anyone before' you say into the silence and feel all eyes on you again. You pause, returning the stare of everyone.

'What?' You say over your spoonful of stew.

'What is Christmas?' Kili asks inquisitively. You pull a face, expecting him to laugh at his own joke. But he does not.

'You really don't have Christmas here?' You manage to spit out through the shock. All their head shake and you drop your spoon.

'Well that just won't do!!!'