Dwalin X Reader

Quick one to fill some space – FYI this is in a universe when the Durins didn’t die!

-----------------

Dwalin x Reader

You stand, staring out at the vast city below you, hands resting delicately on the stone curve of the windowsill. Your hair was down for the first time for months and you’d actually been able to enjoy your bath this morning instead of rushing so as not to be seen by the other dwarves who you had been travelling with. Today was the first day of normality for you since the reclaiming of Erebor. And you were marvelling in the beauty of the extraordinary community which lay before you. You smiled, breathing in the fresh air and feeling the wind whistle past you.

‘There ye are’ you hear the voice grumble behind you, smiling softly when he came into your view, leaning against the window ledge next to you.

‘It’s beautiful’ you whisper, mesmerised.

‘Ay, tis’ he replies, not taking his eyes off of you. You narrow your eyes at him playfully as he winks at you.

‘I’ve been looking for you’ he mumbles, fingers playing with the ledge you were peering over.

‘I wasn’t hiding’ you retort, giving him a side look. He looks up at you, a red blush spreading up his neck.

‘I didn’t mean li’ that...’ he stutters and you giving him a side smirk, facing him properly.

‘Dwalin, I know. I’m just playing’ you reassure him, taking one of his hands between both of yours and cradling them to your chest.

You and Dwalin had grown very close during the journey to reclaim Erebor. It almost killed him off seeing you get hurt when the battle had begun and he had admitted his intentions to you the moment you had woken up. You had both chosen to keep it a secret for the moment, not wanting to be the centre of attention just yet and wanting time for yourselves to enjoy the cocoon and get used to the new development. Today, you had both decided, was the day you were going to announce the news to everyone. The news of your betrothal.

Dwalin lifts his other hand to rest it on the side of your face, his thumb running over your cheek in soothing strokes.

‘Are you ready to do this?’ you ask shyly, looking up at him from under your eyelashes. He takes a long breath.

‘I’ve been ready for this my whole lif-…’ he is interrupted by the echoing of an applause.

You both frown and turn in to the direction the noise is coming from.

Fili, Kili, Thorin and Balin all walk towards you from the end of the corridor, smiles on their faces and still clapping. You feel a blush creep up your cheeks and bury your head into Dwalins shoulder. Dwalin tenses, watching his fellow dwarves walk towards him.

‘About time’ Thorin’s usually deep voice is lighter and happy as he speaks.

Fili and Kili are beaming and just nodding their heads in approval. Balin moves to his brothers side, patting him on the back and throwing you a nod and a wink. You respond a small smile, still firmly tucked into Dwalins side.

‘Took you long enough’ Thorin speaks again and Fili and Kili hum in agreement.

You shake your head gently and look to Dwalin who looks uncomfortable and cornered.

‘You are not going to hear the end of this’ Fili calls over his shoulder to you both as he turns to leave. You knew the troublesome brothers were going to give you some grief about not telling them.