The Three Agents

Jessica held herself perfectly still as she slid into the MRI machine, where she sat for a while.

An image of the Inkling brain appeared on one of Marina's monitors, which Marina and Marie were both watching closely, while the rest of the Splatoon sat around the room, awaiting answers. The brain appeared mostly normal, with one major exception; the existence of what appeared to be multiple small tumors.

Marie sighed. "There's still sanitization in there, but... I don't think it's attacking the emotional segments anymore. So, while she should still be feeling side effects, she should be clear of the brainwashing effects."

Dylan walked up to the monitor, eyeing it suspiciously. "You're not saying we can start trusting her now, are you?"

Marie sighed again. "No... but... maybe we should."

Marina got up into her face. "Under no circumstances are we letting her on this team. She's betrayed us too many times, and quite frankly I'm still mad that I can't really wear crop tops anymore."

Marie let Jessica out of the machine, and began to write notes on a clipboard. "It's not up to you, Marina."

"Well it should be up to us. We're a team, Marie. We should put this to a vote."

Bridgett walked up to them both. "I'm with Marina on this one, Marie. Jessica has caused way too much trouble with us."

Marie scratched her forehead. "Well... We need all the allies we can get in this fight. Right now, as much as I hate to say it, I think Jessica is our ally."

"Oh, bullshit!"

"Let me finish. Like I just said a second ago, she's free from the brainwashing, she's obviously pissed at Tartar, and she's not trying to kill us. Not to mention, she's been with Tartar for, how long now? She now knows how Tartar thinks and acts and plans, and with that in mind, she could be our key to stopping him. For good."

"I know I don't deserve a say in this but Marie's right." Jessica said as she stood up from the MRI machine, everyone in the room turning to her. "I'm fully aware that everyone here hates me now, but I can help you stop Tartar. And I do know his plans, I've been his second in command for a year now, he trusted me with things he never should have. He's really... not the smartest robot."

"What do you know?" Marie asked her.

"The NILS statue... the destruction of Inkopolis... his new society... Those are only the beginning of his plan."

"What plan?"

Jessica sighed. "His ultimate plan. The plan to end all plans or whatever. Look... You may think we're standing in the apocalypse right now, but the thing is, this is nothing compared to what Tartar will do next."

"What plan?" Marie asked again.

"He has a time machine, in Tartar Labs. I know because Marina turned it on shortly before I tried to kill her. I don't know what he's planning with the machine, and I don't think he understands what the consequences of that thing are, because if he turns that thing on to high enough levels-"

"He could physically travel though time, but all of space-time could dissolve, ending the universe as we know it..." Marina suddenly concluded. "The machine... It's actually a time machine?"

"Yes, and you turned it on to the lowest level... Marina... What exactly happened to you, when you turned it on?"

The whole room turned on Marina. "I... uh... It showed me glimpses of my past, unlocked certain memories I lost, but the thing was... I wasn't really physically in the past, it was more like a vision. ...But I guess that would make sense, if I only turned it on to the lowest level."