28

MADNESS
— 28. Suspicion

  In the Great Hall of Kattegat, the crowds of people gathered around, including Hvitserk, who had brought Halig with him

"Stay close to me. The last thing we want is Ivar finding out who you are," Hvitserk told Halig in a low tone and the boy nodded in understanding.

The drums pounded and Halig glanced around, watching as all of the flames inside the room were extinguished until it was completely dark.

He looked ahead, finding Freya sitting on her throne beside Ivar's, her hands rested on her swollen belly.

Ivar glanced around, a large smile on his face. "My people, you are all welcome to the table," He announced loudly, grabbing ahold of Freya's hand before he turned to address the crowd once more, "It is important to us that everyone here feels involved in the life of our great town. Kattegat has grown. It is now a huge trading station, the greatest trading station in Scandinavia. And our sister land, Ashton happens to be the second. Kattegat and Ashton have changed since my father's time. In those days, he knew everyone and he was happy to share his power with those he knew and trusted, of course."

Freya sighed and turned, exchanging a look with Hvitserk from afar.

"My father gave me this responsibility," Ivar continued to explain as he held up his arm ring, "And our father, Odin, gave me this responsibility. I have accepted it, and I ask you to trust me. We cannot allow everyone to vote on everything which affects our kingdom. We have a duty to protect it! I have a duty to protect it! So...We have to change the rules."

"People I trust will vote on land issues, matrimonial matters, murder inquiries, things that you do not need to worry about. Because I will take care of you. I will lead you! No, what is truly important is to know who we are! And who is with us, and who is against us. And we know who we are, don't we?" He spoke loudly and the crowd shouted in response, "Yes, we do! So now, it is time to find out those who threaten us, who is against us. Maybe it is your neighbor. Perhaps it is someone you know. A family member. A brother."

Ivar paused and briefly looked directly at Hvitserk. When he looked away, Hvitserk turned his head to exchange a look with Freya.

"A son. They talk about me. They whisper that I am the enemy. But, of course, they are the enemy. They want to destroy our kingdom. They want to encourage our enemies to attack us and invade us! Is that what you want?" He asked the crowd in a loud tone and they all responded with 'no', "Do you want me to protect you?"

"Yes!"

"Do you want me to destroy them?"

"Yes!"

"Yes!" Ivar shouted alongside them enthusiastically and Freya shifted uncomfortably in her seat as she watched Ivar stand up as the crowd chanted his name.