20

MADNESS
— 20. Disowned

   On the day of the battle, Freya was standing alone in the woods

   On the day of the battle, Freya was standing alone in the woods. Her face was leaning upwards as her eyes were closed, taking in the sun.

"Are you ready?" A familiar voice asked her, causing Freya to turn her head to see Hvitserk standing before her.

"In all honesty, I don't really know. Apart of me feels as though today shall be the day I die," Freya admitted and Hvitserk smiled, shaking his head.

"I don't think so," He replied truthfully, refusing to believe such a thing.

"Perhaps you're right. But who truly knows but the gods?" Freya commented as she turned to face Hvitserk, "In any case, if today is the day that I die, I hope that you will kiss me one last time."

Hvitserk's eyes widened slightly in surprise as he heard her words. He watched as Freya walked closer to him. Without hesitation, he cupped her face in his hands and kissed her passionately.

"I do, Hivtserk. I do love you, you must know that." She whispered to him softly as she pulled away from the kiss, pressing her forehead against his, "More than I ever thought possible."

"And I love you," Hvitserk smiled, wrapping his arms around her, "I always will. We shall live through this battle and after that, we shall figure out what the gods have in store for us once Ivar becomes king."

Freya remained silent, a part of her feeling uneasy about Ivar being king.

____

    The battle began that day and despite knowing they were outnumbered, Lagertha's forces charged at Ivar and Harald's, showing no fear. She watched from across the battlefield as Lagertha raised her sword before lowering it, leading to arrows being released on them.

Arrow came their way once more and the army was quick to raise their shields before the true battle began.

Hvitserk cut down anyone in his path. He stopped briefly and turned, his eyes locking on Freya from afar.

"What do you fear most, dear brother?" Ivar had asked Hvitserk as the two brothers sat together before the battle.

Hvitserk had just returned from being in the woods with Freya and as if on cue, Ivar had insisted that his brother sat with him. Hvitserk and Freya alike felt uneasy and while Freya stood closeby, acting as though she wasn't eavesdropping, Hvitserk was forced to sit with his brother.

"The loss of thought or memory?" Ivar asked Hvitserk curiously.

"My thoughts and memories seem to be the same," Hvitserk admitted, shrugging his shoulders, "Every time I think, I always remember the day I jumped out of Ubbe's ship."