23

MADNESS
— 23. Secrets and Lies

 In the Great Hall of Kattegat, a feast was being held and Hvitserk sat at one of the tables with Margrethe sitting beside him and King Harald across him

In the Great Hall of Kattegat, a feast was being held and Hvitserk sat at one of the tables with Margrethe sitting beside him and King Harald across him. Hvitserk was in the middle of whispering something to Margrethe when his head turned to see Ivar entering the hall from his room alongside Freya.

Ivar smiled as he extended his hand out, allowing Freya to take hold of it as she smiled back at him.

Hvitserk began to glare, a part of him feeling jealous at the sight. He turned again, watching as a servant brought over a second chair to be placed beside Ivar's throne for Freya to sit on.

"My people! My dear people!" Ivar began to address the crowd in a loud tone, a large smile on his face, "As you already know, I have chosen this wonderful woman, Princess Freya, to be my new wife, but now it is official. You will now know her as your new Queen of Kattegat and Ashton!"

The crowd began to cheer loudly at the news, all but Hvitserk. His face fell and became consumed with anger, especially when he saw Freya smiling as well. She was happy about becoming queen.

Hvitserk watched as Ivar sat down on his throne while Freya sat beside him. They held hands as Ivar leaned closer to her, whispering something in her ear that made her laugh.

Harald noticed as well and turned to Hvitserk, who looked to be consumed with jealousy. "This is all about the kingship," He suddenly spoke up, causing Hvitserk to turn to look at him, "He takes a wife, produces an heir, and then, in his eyes, Kattegat is his forever."

"A good plan," Hvitserk replied sarcastically, "Except for one thing."

"What thing?" Harald asked, not knowing what the boy was getting at.

Hvitserk sighed, turning to Margrethe as he gestured for her to tell King Harald.

"He can't produce children. He is boneless," Margrethe informed Harald, beginning to laugh as Harald turned to Hvitserk for confirmation, "That is why he has married her. She is the only one who figured it out and still, kept his secret."

Hvitserk smiled slightly at Harald, nodding his head. "And if the past has proven anything, I believe Freya is barren."

"What makes you say that?" Harald asked Hvitserk, a confused look on his face.

Hvitserk glanced around, just before leaning closer to Harald. "You believe it's possible that Freya is able to have children, yet somehow spent years bedding myself, Ubbe, and Sigurd but never once became with child?" He explained, causing Harald and Margrethe to laugh while Hvitserk looked aggravated.

He turned and locked eyes on Ivar, who smiled and raised his drinking horn as a form of toast with his brother. Hvitserk knew the truth, though. Ivar was only doing it to piss him off.