16

MADNESS
— 16. Confessions

 In the chapel, Freya was sitting beside Ivar, who had an arm wrapped around her while Hvitserk sat near them, looking annoyed

In the chapel, Freya was sitting beside Ivar, who had an arm wrapped around her while Hvitserk sat near them, looking annoyed. One of Ivar's men walked over, looking down at him. "The Saxon army, or what remains of it, has abandoned their camp and left," He informed them, causing Freya to smile in satisfaction.

With that, he walked away and Ivar chuckled as he exchanged a look with Hvitserk and Freya. "If you want to, we can pursue them and destroy them."

"I think we have more important things to do," Hvitserk told the duo, earning a curious look from Freya.

"And what may that be?" She asked and raised a brow at Hvitserk.

"We must look to Kattegat," Hvitserk insisted as he leaned forward in his seat, "What if Ubbe kills Lagertha, or persuades her to crown him king? The loss of our home base would be a devastating blow," He explained and Freya began to smile, clearly impressed, "We need to sort things out. We must kill Ubbe and Lagertha, and you must be crowned king of Kattegat, before Bjorn and Ylva return."

Ivar smiled, staring at his brother, impressed. "You are making more and more sense, my brother. Good man," He complimented Hvitserk, looking proud, "I remember also that King Harald has an ambition of invading Kattegat. In the short term, we should make an alliance and work with him. This time, we will truly quit York, though leaving a big enough garrison to keep it safe until our return. Hmm?"

"Sounds like a wonderful idea," Freya commented and Ivar smiled at her.

"And what of our prisoner?" Hvitserk asked the duo, leaning back in his seat, "This bishop."

"Well, what do you propose?" Ivar questioned, smiling at Hvitserk mischievously.

"He seems like an important man. We could offer him back to the Saxons for a great ransom," Hvitserk suggested in a calm tone.

"Or we could crucify him," Ivar commented with a large grin on his face, "That would be fun."

Freya chuckled and shook her head while Hvitserk smiled, not responding.

___

They ended up leaving York and brought Bishop Heahmund with them, which Freya still didn't understand. They soon arrived at King Harald's kingdom with their ships.

Freya walked over to Hvitserk on the boat. She grabbed him by the arm, causing Hvitserk to turn to her in confusion. "Do you think it's a good idea..." She trailed off uneasily, "being here?"

"In all honesty, I do not know. Harald wants to Kattegat for himself. I don't think this could ever be a good idea," Hvitserk admitted, letting out a large sigh.

The duo stared at each other in silence, the two of them feeling uneasy about the whole ordeal.

____