Chapter 1

The Fox of Sinaloa

Life is like an hourglass which measures precisely the passage of time. However, it's horrifying how none of us seems to be aware when our journey is supposed to come to a resolution. As the days, months and years pass along the fleeting hourglass is fading until it comes to cease.

Santiago Mendoza was one of the smartest individuals in Sinaloa and I was fortunate enough to share the same blood. My older brother Santiago lived a reckless life which lead him to become one the most money makers of the Sinaloa Cartel of Mexico at the age of 16. Yes, 16 years old you might be wondering how that's even possible, but we will get back to that later on. Even though he was really a bad guy and all the grownups either hated him or envied him, however all the kids loved him. Personally, I always despised the fact that he lived of sins, just so he could ride in fast cars, he always use to carry a handgun everywhere with him with his initials. He also purchased one for me which I was never able to carry because I didn't want to be responsible for taking another human being life, he also gave me a watch. His catchphrase was don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Sadly anybody who leads that life never lives to tell the story themselves, he passed away at 27 years old the correctional officer found his body laying in a pool of blood as he ran to alert his colleagues when they came back to the laundry room the body was MIA and they were never able to figure out where was his body was taken. The doctor assigned called my mother to let her know that he was deceased based on the amount of blood gathered, and the description of the wounds given by the correctional officer. On that very day my mother looked at me dead in the eyes and even though she wanted to cry she couldn't bring herself to drop a tear in front us she then made me promise not to leave her side.

Romeo's POV

Romeo is 20, his older brother was murdered 2 years ago and now he has to take of his mother and 2 younger sisters however he lives in the worst area of Sinaloa. He knows deep down that he needs to act and fast because his family's safety is on the line since the crime rate has been rising in Mexico and his brother was affiliated with very dangerous people. Lately he has been working 2 jobs so he can support his mom, bought a car so he can drop off his 2 sisters who to school, so they chase their dream. Romeo's a brilliant kid, who was raised by a single mother who taught him what's right from wrong, grew up without a father which is why he pushes himself past his limits to fill in the shoes of the man of the house. Nonetheless, Romero carries a huge load on his back and undergoes moments of doubt whenever he has a lot on his mind he heads to the boxing gym to let off steam, however his hearts gets heavier late at night when he hears his mother weeping.

On Wednesday Romero goes to the gas station for his evening shift. He received an email from the manager and was informed that there will be a new worker. As he completed his lunch Romero heads to his room to get his car keys and heads outside. As he's about to go down the stairs of the patio he caught sight of a little kid who seemed to enjoy himself while on a blissful bicycle ride, in that very moment Romero wished he could go back to the times when he rode bikes with his brother. After checking his watch, he realizes he has that 30 mins to get to work. Which encouraged him to decide to ride his bike to work and leave the car keys at home.

As I got to work I was introduced to Ali who recently moved to Mexico. I showed all the tasks and taught him how to handle the cash register. We got to know each other and found out that we were both enrolled in the same University starting our freshman year in the Fall.

Romero ''Ali, I'm going on my break can you take care of the cash'' inquisitively

Ali ''I think I got it, you might need to watch your back ill catch up soon'' he retorted with a push on the shoulder.

Romero ''Don't get too cocky, I bet you'll need my help sooner than you think'' he replied with a mocking smile.

6:30 PM

Later in the evening, in the cool night, the sun is setting in the horizon when Ali hears tires squeaking in the distance. Suddenly appears a motorcycle in front of the gas station with 2 guys. They hurry in the gas station and command the new employee to empty the cash register. In panic he's unable to open the cash.

Ali ''I'm new let me call my supervisor'' as he felt chill of unease running down his spine

Robbers ''Just open it and take out the money'' yells one of the burglars

Romero ''I should probably head back'' nonchalantly

As the encounter is taking place the burglar with the revolver in his right-hand heard crunching footsteps coming from the back of the shop. Adam comes face to face with the thieves. In that very moment Romero couldn't help himself as he froze with his jaw dropped to the floor. The gunman was boiling like a furnace as he couldn't contain himself within a split-second lead travelling at 2600 feet per second perforated Romero's flesh. When the man behind the trigger saw Romero's, body drop lifeless he felt a deep pain in his stomach, while his associate was in disbelief as he shed a tear while having an intense stare down with his accomplice. Simultaneously they hurry to their motorcycle to speed away in the night.

Meanwhile Romero laid flat on his back, on the left side of his body he could feel the extremely hot blood rushing out of his neck as stares at the multitude of snacks stacked in the vending while his vision fades away.

''All my life I tried to be different than my brother, isn't ironic that ironic that I thought I would be different, maybe better I hoped. Yet again, here I am bound to die in the same way, I'm sorry mom for not being able to give you the life you deserve''

Ali ''Romeroooo''...