Chapter 25 - Double Dog Dare: Retribution

"We haven't had a truth or dare for a while, huh?" mused Spizzo as he finished another one of his drinks, unsure how many he'd had so far tonight. He didn't really feel too bad though, with how long the night had been, he was far from feeling anything from them anyway.

"Well, we haven't actually finished one of them, so we should probably wrap that up before we move on," Jacob chose to point out as he returned to stroking the kitty underneath its chin. The orange blob licked his hand intermittently in return.

"What do you mean?" the other teen asked, eyebrows furrowed as he tried to remember what they'd apparently missed. "We kissed, that was the last one."

"Nuh-uh-uh," Jacob tutted, feeling a bit gleeful in his revenge as he knew all too well what was coming next. "That was your stupid double dog dare. I dared you to jump into the pool and you chickened out of it, remember?"

Spizzo groaned as it came back to him. After everything else that had happened since, it had slipped his mind. "Oh man, I completely forgot!"

"But I didn't," Jacob snickered in delight. It was almost silly how much the two teens enjoyed the other's suffering, but Jacob didn't mind too much. Spizzo had mad him suffer for his own enjoyment enough tonight that he felt that some balance was required.

"Seriously, Jacob," Spizzo said, trying to sound serious but falling short as he added in an almost-whine, "you know that I can't do heights."

Jacob rolled his eyes at the other teen's whining. He wasn't the Rolling Stones, he had no sympathy for the Devil. Ok, so Spizzo wasn't the Devil. The last couple of hours showed that he wasn't that bad after all, but that still didn't mean that Jacob was going to let him off easy.

"You're not getting out of this," he began to say, waiting for Spizzo to stop his interrupting whining before he continued to add, "but I will still do it with you if that makes it easier for you."

"This is not the time to proposition me, Jacob," Spizzo retorted, not passing up the opportunity to take the dig on his ex-best friend. "My life is in mortal danger here."

"God, if you're gonna be this much of a drama queen, I might as well just push you over the edge myself," was Jacob's response, enjoying the split second of almost fear that zapped in the other teen's eyes as he, for a moment, thought that Jacob was being serious.

Spizzo, however, did catch on and laughed sarcastically as a retort. "Oh ha ha ha, let's make fun of a person's greatest fear."

Jacob had to restrain himself from the eye rolls he wanted to make, certain he'd strain his muscles doing so. "Oh come off it, James. You've been making fun of me being gay all night, I get to be a terrible person over this."

"Yeah, but I'm not the one suggesting we Thelma and Louise ourselves off a balcony, am I?" Spizzo hit back.

"How do you know that movie?" asked the other teen, surprised that someone who'd prided themselves on not knowing 'chick movies' to his meathead friends in the school hall would know Thelma and Louise enough to reference it.

"You know Mum is a massive Susan Sarandon fan," was all Spizzo had to say for Jacob to understand.

He wasn't going to let this go though, telling the other teen, "you have to face your fears! This is like that immersion therapy thing where they dunk you in a bath of spiders but we're jumping into the pool instead."

"I don't think you understand fears at all," Spizzo replied dryly, not amused as Jacob was.

"Oh come on," Jacob sighed, moving the cat off his lap and to the side before standing up and approaching the other teen. As he stood in front of him, hand outstretched, he asked, "do I need to hold your hand through this?"

"No," said Spizzo, taking Jacob's offered hand into his own and hoisting himself up. Jacob wanted the satisfaction and Spizzo wasn't going to give it to him by saying yes. His manlihood was being questioned here and even if he felt like he was going to shit himself and pass out, he was going to go through with this. He wasn't a chicken.

That didn't mean he didn't like having the hand of support to help him though (but he'd die before ever saying that).

Spizzo felt the lump in his throat grow bigger and bigger as the reached the end of the balcony, the blood rushing like a stampede in his ears. He was sure that his hands were past clammy at this point but Jacob held on.

"OK, come on," said Jacob, letting go of Spizzo hand to lift both of his legs over the railing to sit on it with both hands gripped at his sides so he didn't tip over too early. He looked back at Spizzo, waiting for him to follow suit.

Spizzo took a moment to breathe, a moment to let his mind catch up and centre himself like he would in a middle of an intense match of soccer. There was a lot going on. The wind sounding like it was screaming past his ears like his coach yelling at his team to pick up their pace. Jacob's eyes on him expectantly like his teammates waiting for him to make the first move.

He had to make the first move.

Spizzo reach out to the railing, using the support to steady himself as he followed Jacob's lead. The teen hoisted himself up and over, sitting next to his ex-best friend with both hands on the rail. Jacob placed one of hands over Spizzo's with a quick brush of his thumb to help him stay calm.

As Jacob said, "On the count of three, OK?" he gripped Spizzo's hand in his own. They were going to do this together.

Spizzo didn't really notice, the world tunnelling out around him and everything became mute besides Jacob's voice. He wasn't sure what happened once Jacob reached three, everything passing in a blur. On the railing one moment, the wind whipping past them the next until he felt the sharp coolness of the water as they crashed into the pool.

~ ~ ~

It took Spizzo a moment to remember that he needed to swim as he sat almost crossed legged at the bottom of the pool like a kindergartener waiting for the teacher to begin story time. It almost felt like he'd died, that the fear he'd felt up on the railing had killed him in the free-fall and his afterlife was now at the bottom of this pool.

But his line of vision was filled with bubbles as he watched Jacob's legs kicking around, swimming back up to the top.

If Jacob was alive, then so was he.

And so he needed to swim.

~ ~ ~

As Spizzo's head cleared the top of the water and back into the fresh air, he gasped loudly trying to catch his breath. His arms thrashed about trying to grasp anything solid but found Jacob's shoulders instead. He grabbed him tight, pulling the other teen towards him and holding firm to his shoulders as he calmed down.

He wasn't sure what he felt except for an overwhelming wave of relief. All he could do was laugh as he gripped the other teen. It was almost nonsensical but it was the only way he could respond.

"See, I knew you could do it," said Jacob as he placed his hands on Spizzo's sides, his legs whipping around to keep them both afloat.

"I fucking hate you so much," Spizzo responded in between laughs, causing Jacob to break out into a laugh too.

Neither was sure if Spizzo really meant it, but it was a moment that both teens would never forget: the two of them, wrapped up together in the pool, laughing in the moonlight. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/N: A silly chapter but so is the whole story really. Hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading! xx

Also if you know all the series that I'm referencing with the Double Dog Dare chapters, I'll give you a gold star lol much love xx