"L-lady... Josephine.." Emma voice stuttered as she inhaled sharply. Jade could vaguely remember the lady in question.

"Your attacker... Has your father not written to you about the arrest?" The Crown Prince asked, curiously.

"Yes, he has written about the trial. He writes to me periodically but he has never mentioned anyone in particular. He thinks I do not have the constitution to digest such information," Emma mentioned with a defiant jerk of her chin. Jade marveled at the change in her friend in the few months she had known her.

"Her accomplices too have been apprehended. Her maid is the only one expected to be given a lenient punishment since she was acting under duress," The dark haired man informed her, in a clipped and formal tone.

The shorter girl nodded slowly. Her pink lips were a firm, thin, line. She gazed at her clasped hands before forcing her watery pale blue eyes up to the Crown Prince's richer cerulean gaze.

"I had throught I would be eager to figure out why I was targeted but now I am uncertain whether I wish to know. Perhaps my father was correct about my lack of fortitude," The younger girl's defeated words belied the strength in her shoulders.

"I could enlighten you about their insipid ramblings?" Prince Edward's asked, cautiously.

"We have already mused over the reasons but they were too ridiculous to be given any notice. I do not wish to give them any more importance, Sire," Emma uttered softly. Her eyes were now fixed on her lap. She hid a tremble in her chin with a hand on her mouth. There was a poignant silence before the Prince interrupted it.

"Have you received the dancing card for the ball?" Edward's tone was curt, "I believe we mailed them along with the invitations."

"Yes," The fair haired girl looked up in surprise. This was the last topic of discussion she had expected.

"I- I-" The Prince was uncharacteristically hesitant to contine but he straightened his shoulders and blustered ahead, "I wished to ask you for the first dance but it seems my brother has made his intentions clear."

"I thank you for the honour, your Highness. I would have thought you would apply to my father to fill in my dancing card," Emma asked with an arched brow and Jade restrained herself from whistling. She was not expecting her friend to be so bold to throw the taunt this way.

"Not about this. I do not fear my father as much as I do yours," Edward's smile was genuine. He had not taken the bait to start an argument.

"Is he really that strict?" Jade couldn't contain her curiosity.

"Would we be talking in the library if my father was at the helm?" Emma asked the Prince, with mischief lacing her eyes.

"Absolutely not. I would not dare," The Crown Prince agreed.

"He's a sweet man once out of his place of work," The short girl tried to weakly defend her father but ended up shrugging instead.

"I pity your suitors and am grateful I am not," Jade revealed uncouthly while her friend glared at her for bringing up a private conversation.

The secretary knew she was being mean to her companions but she felt it was necessary to push if she wanted to get the required results. Her plan was working because the Prince was instantly discomfited and made his excuse to leave.

"You are a menace!" Emma exclaimed, gaining a pained look from the librarian, "He must think me a tart."

"Let him. Who cares about what he thinks, right?" Jade shrugged with a cultivated air of nonchalance.