chapter eleven - beginning

🕊Bella Makenna🕊

After Draco pushed me away, I stayed cemented in my spot

After Draco pushed me away, I stayed cemented in my spot. I just wanted one night with him before whatever happened, happened. His icy glare stayed on me. Every fiber of my being told me to keep my position right here. My legs were weak, hips sore. He kept pushing me towards the door.

"No. You can't just take me and then push me away like this. Please just hold me because I don't know if I'll see you again, damn it," I cried. He knew I deserved more and so did I. His demeanor changed yet again as he grabbed my hand and pulled me out. I kept fighting him, afraid of the unknown that was bound to happen as soon as the sun rose tomorrow. His cold hands got me out of the door and blocked me out.

"Please, I'm just trying to protect you, Hufflepuff. I need you to leave, godric's sake. You will die if you have any correlation to me. Stay by Potter and them," he said, knowing more than I did. He actually trusted Potter for once in his life?

"Can we have one last dance before this?" He looked dumbfounded, confused how I still trusted him knowing that death is going to rain down on the Wizarding World. I pulled him close, setting his hands on my waist and mine on his shoulders. Quietly, I began to hum a melody and he allowed himself to sway with me. This our moment and I was going to carry it with me until my last breath. He spun me and I saw the Great Hall lit up, like we were back at the ball. His smile radiated that night and I burned that into my memory, knowing his usual look was a deep scowl. I lost Cedric without warning and I thought that was the sharpest pain I could feel. But, here with Draco, assuming one of us will die when the tension snaps and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named returning, this shattered every part of my soul. My body ached; I wanted this to be forever. I wanted him to tell me we can run away, but he said nothing until our dance was over.

"Goodbye, Bella. Remember what I said," he swallowed after he spoke. His arms dropped and I felt cold without his touch. As soon as he let go, I left a kiss on his cheek and hurried to the common room. Once I got through the door, heart wrenching sobs came out of me. I collapsed onto a couch and hugged my legs, rocking myself. Soon, my wails turned into hiccups and unintentionally, I fell asleep on the sofa.

Hannah woke me up in the early afternoon, concerned why I didn't make it up to the room. She saw my puffy cheeks and red eyes; my friend sat next to me and allowed for me to lay down with my head on her lap. Tears slowly fell onto her clean skirt as she combed my hair comfortingly. Even in the basement, we could hear the rumbling of thunder and small drops of drizzling rain. I'm not sure how long I sat there, clenching Hannah for dear life. I was snapped out of my aching daze when fellow Hufflepuffs came rushing in, hollering about someone invading the castle. I shot up, grabbing my wand from the cushion. Before anyone knew I was gone, my legs carried me to the last place I saw Draco the night before. Down the hall, I heard bitter laughing. I crept behind, making sure each step was as light as a feather. The noises led to the Astronomy Tower and I turned to the staircase to go up. Harry stood there, his breath being held. He turned to me and put a finger to his lips; his eyes begging me not to make a sound. I heard Dumbledore before anyone else.

"Draco, you are no assassin." My stomach clenched; it felt like the air was sucked out of me and I was left with no way to breathe.

"How do you know what I am? I've done things that would shock you."

Draco's voice was wavering. He didn't want to do this, I knew it by the way he spoke. His voice sounded like when he told me to walk away from him. Hearing him talk, I knew I would set my skin ablaze and feel every spark of pain, if it meant he would come back. I clutched my wand with one hand and Draco's ring with the other. Harry shared a look and reached to release my tight grab from my chain around my neck. He held it, tightly.

"Like cursing Katie Bell and hoping that, in return, she would bear a cursed necklace to me? Like replacing a bottle of mead with one laced with poison? Forgive me, Draco, but I cannot help feeling these actions are so weak that your heart couldn't really be in them," Dumbledore said, but I had a feeling he already knew what was going to happen in this next coming seconds.

"He trusts me! I was chosen!" My heart shattered, even though I thought I was already broken into pieces the size of sand. I heard Dumbledore surrender before Draco disarmed him. No, no, no. My eyes filled with tears, Harry's grip tightened. He knew too. We both didn't want to accept it, but we knew. My ears started to ring as my heart began to pump faster. I couldn't hear anything, my body becoming excessively scolding.

"... don't want your help! Don't you understand? I have to do this! I have to kill you! Or he's going to kill me..." Draco sounded so lost and petrified. Harry made a move to go up and I held him back, knowing we were outnumbered by the sound of shuffling on the other side of the staircase. My eyes squeezed shut and the next thing I heard was one of the unforgivable curses, but it wasn't Draco's voice. The air felt empty, like I couldn't take in enough oxygen. Harry began to pull me through the castle after the Death Eaters. Hermoine and Ron caught up; I didn't notice tears were falling and flames erupted around the grounds. Glass was shattered, my home felt tainted and ruined. As I was getting mindlessly dragged behind the trio, I felt the grass beneath my feet and saw Hagrid's explode into a bright inferno. Harry threw spells in their direction as my head began to spin. Draco turned and saw me, knowing my promise had been broken. I knew tonight was going to be filled with fear. I thought I knew what betrayal felt like, but I had no idea the pain of it until I saw Professor Snape with those who ruined Hogwarts. I felt my eyes roll into the back of my head and I went weightless as the consciousness ceased to exist.

I saw nothing but black, until my eyes shot open seeing Hermione. She straightened up, putting her hand out and helping me up. Was this real?

"Come, Bella. We need to get to the tower," she rushed, holding me up as her legs carried most of our weight. My heart rate picked up as we got closer to the crowd around one spot. It was real. Harry collapsed next to Dumbledore as soon as he reached him. The thunder rumbled louder, causing every pair of eyes to look up to see the sky. He's back; the sign in the clouds proved it. My hands shook, knowing he's with them. Draco is in danger from both the side he chose and mine. Wands were raised, the tips glowing. I raised mine as high as I could, putting grief and love behind the bright light. Tears were streaming down everyone's cheeks. Dumbledore was gone. The hundreds of students sent their feelings up to the sky, blocking the mark in the sky. I gulped, having a feeling war was coming soon.

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named may have an army. But we had things he didn't or could never grasp the concept of. We had love; that showed through both Dumbledore and Cedric. We had a reason to fight until our last breath. It was either that or let those we loved die without a cause.

A/N: yes i'm aware Harry chased the Death Eaters alone. But it's my story so imma change the plot to fit my ideas and storylineeee. u know the drill, pls lmk next ~pov~ and ur thoughts !!! also pls make funny comments or just b my friend - i need some good chats.
ALSO, what r ur houses y'all? I'm a hufflepuff (not sure why bc i'm a bitch actually)