chapter seven - snowfall

🕊 Bella Makenna🕊

🕊 Bella Makenna🕊

The entire week before the dance, Draco and I danced around the Room of Requirement. We had a radio on low. His hands laid on my hips, mine on his shoulders. We stepped rhythmically and he held me like I would disappear in thin air. As he spun me, his left sleeve dropped slightly and revealed a small part of a fresh tattoo. I didn't ask questions, having the feeling that it would ruin the mood if I were to. At some point, he held my cheeks and pressed his forehead to mine. The smell of expensive cologne and mint invading my nose once again. If only every night was like this after the Yule Ball.

*********

Tonight was the night the entirety of Hogwarts has been waiting for: the Yule Ball. I ran a bath in the morning, taking my time to exfoliate and shave. My soap was the best I owned, smelling of vanilla, gardenias, and honey. Once my skin was smooth, I focused on my hair and washed it to perfection. My hair products had a similar scent. I drained the water as soon as I was done cleaning up and laying in the warm water. Once I was dried off, I slid on comfortable clothes and grabbed everything I would need to get ready. Hermoine, Susan, Luna, Hannah, and I decided to all get ready in the Hufflepuff common room. Walking to the front of the painting, I made her aware guests were coming to prepare for the ball and she flashed a smile, nodding. As soon as I finished speaking to the painting, I headed inside and sat on the couch waiting. I wonder what Draco is doing right now. Is he even excited? Without thinking, I felt my hand on his silver ring around my neck. The girls started coming in, one by one, and we showed each other our dresses. Everyone's looked lovely, I couldn't wait to see them all cleaned up and looking like princesses instead of school girls.

I decided to get ready two hours before we had to be down in the hall. My knowledge on makeup was minimal, so I put on some nude and sparkly shadow. After, I curled my lashes and applied mascara. I gently applied some concealer and blush. My finishing touch was a clear lip gloss. But, my hair was a different story. My natural waves refused to keep any style. Curls would fall out, straightened hair would instantly get the waves back. In frustration, I groaned loudly and the sound startled the girls. They looked over and studied my hair.

"I have an idea," Hermoine says after a few minutes. She makes her way over, expertly pulling my hair into a fancy ponytail and recurling my hair. Then, she whispered some words. I assumed it was a spell to somehow keep everything in place; she knew so many different enchantments.

Those who got ready with me already headed down to the hall. I slipped on my gown and heels, staring in the mirror. Draco's ring looked enchanting with the colors that were covering my body. I didn't feel beautiful or like a princess, and I should have. Shaking my head, I pushed myself away from the mirror and left the common room. I was late and everyone was already dancing to the music. My heels clicked down the marble stairs. The sound alone causing Draco to look up; I watched as his jaw fell to the floor and his eyes were starry. The closer I got, I felt his heated gaze and his hand slip around my waist.

"You look absolutely ravishing, Hufflepuff," he whispered, his lips grazing my ear. He was so close to me, I could almost hear his heartbeat. My cheeks turned a deep red and I coughed out a thank you.

"Shall we?" He kissed my palm and led me into the room, instantly pulling us to the dance floor.

Great Hall was filled with lights and trees, snow gently flurrying down. It was truly magnificent, a sight to be seen. The music was upbeat, making it easy to dance freely. Draco's hands slid to my hips, allowing for my movement to guide us. He took the chance to spin me, stopping me half way and pulling my back to him. Little did he know, I could feel him through my dress. I felt him make a movement once again, getting close to my ear.

"My ring belongs around your neck, but I have a feeling my hand would be better," he mumbled, dipping down to brush his lips against my jaw. Taking this as an opportunity, he spun me back around and smirked at my saucer eyes. Draco continues to tease about my embarrassment. After a few more upbeat songs, the mood shifted into slow dancing. This is what we have prepared for all week. The Slytherin prince placed his hands where we rehearsed them to be and we took slow steps with the rhythm, my head resting against his chest. We swayed for what felt like ages. Every time my eyes wandered up, I caught Draco staring and we weren't able to look away. His eyes were stormy, showing multiple emotions. I could tell he was content and happy, but also broken and scared. But still, we danced the night away. He pressed his lips against my head, showing dear affection.

Students started to sit down or grab beverages, tired from the hours of dancing. I went and sat down, waiting for Draco to come back with a drink. After a few seconds, a Slytherin sat near me and introduced himself as Blaise. I shook his hand, introducing myself.

"Draco's ring? What are you doing wearing that, Makenna," he asked, leaving me speechless. Yes, I got it from our bet, but I didn't want to wear it just because of that.

"Um, he gave me it to me," I smiled, speaking sincerely.

"Surprising he would give anything other than an insult to you. You're only a Hufflepuff, the lowest of the low here. I think he might have gone on a walk with Daphne Greengrass," he said, enjoying when my smile faltered. I nodded, standing and walking to the table where the famous trio sat.

"Hey, guys. How was your evening?"

They all gushed about how fun it was, telling me they loved the music that was played. I glanced at Lavender cradling onto Ron and shivered in disgust, sharing a look with Hermoine and Harry.

Hermoine was the first to speak, asking about my night and where Draco was.

"It was fantastic! I swear my dress had the stars taken from the sky and stitched on here! But, I'm not sure where Draco went. He was supposed to get some drinks," I replied, absentmindedly fiddling with the ring that lay above my heart. Harry pat the chair next to me, asking for me to sit with them. I waited until students started to disperse. The three ushered me up and instructed me to go to my dormitory. I nodded, but decided I was going anywhere but the common room. Quietly, I headed towards the spot where I always studied. The opening that overlooked the water, castle lights reflecting. He was with Daphne, probably in the carriage snogging like the rest of Slytherin and Ravenclaw. They did that after every ball, but they got caught every time. I didn't notice tears welled up and streamed down my cheeks. Starting to lean against the cold wall, I realized there was now a snowfall. Every other time there had been snow, it was just a frost that melted by midday. A shiver settled across my skin, causing goosebumps to appear. I sat for a while, watching the snow fall before deciding it's been long enough and I straightened out. Huffing, I turned and started walking to the hall where I lived. Each step brought me closer to releasing more tears. Draco is a damned Slytherin, I should have known. I got to the painting, opening it easily and swinging it closed. As quick as I could, I slipped out of everything that reminded me of the night and wiped off my makeup. As soon as I hit my pillow, I was in a dreamless asleep.

A/N: comment who you want the POV to be next! Third person, Bella, or Draco! Thank you for reading, feel free to comment amongst yourselves! I will prob write another chapter tonight, because you guys have pestered <3 on tik tok to update, but next chap is gonna be spicy✨