Prologue

I heard blood rushing in my ears, I felt my heart thumping in my chest, I saw the cheering crowd. All for this Agni Kai. My twin and I had spoken out of turn at a war meeting. A general wanted to make needless sacrifices. I couldn't let that happen. My brother and I were to fight separately, him having fought first. I didn't know how it went. I wasn't allowed in the arena.

But I had guessed it went the same way.

Horror filled me as I saw my own father, Ozai, become my challenger. I wasn't sure if I should bow in respect or take a fighting stance with my sword. I didn't regret what I did, but I couldn't fight my father. I could hardly believe he could fight me. I was trembling in fear, but I still spoke. "I'm sorry, father. I didn't mean to disrespect you." I called in as calm as a voice as I could muster. "Then you will fight here for you honor." I looked at the roaring crowd, catching sight of my solemn looking uncle, and smirking younger sister. "I won't fight you father, please accept my apology." I begged helplessly on my knees. Tears flowed down my face.

I don't know how I expected him to react. I was only ever a mistake to him. A punching bag filled with damaging words and ugly marks ever since our mom disappeared.

"If you will not stand and fight like a warrior, you will be punished." The heat of a raging red fire was blasted towards me. I turned, barely in time, for the stream of flames to miss my face, but burn my left shoulder, arm, and torso. I cried out in white hot pain.

That's the day I was banished. That's the day I lost my kind heart.