Chapter 22

I was in the path of totality for the eclipse today. Really cool, but it made me think about Avatar. Would had been cooler if I'd busted my butt and gotten to the eclipse episode to post today, but I got post-breakup depression like a chump. I'm doing better though, and intend to post more often again. I've really appreciated everyone's love of this books, and I'm excited to write for it more.

🌷(Y/n) P.O.V.🌷

After getting rid of the Firenation drill for the Ba Sing Se soldiers, we were granted a ride into the city on the monorail. "Look, the Inner Wall!" Katara announces. "I can't believe we finally made it to Ba Sing Se in one piece."

"Hey, don't jinx it! We can still be attacked by some giant exploding Fire Nation spoon. Or find out the city's been submerged in an ocean full of killer shrimp!" Sokka says. "You been hitting the cactus juice again?" I ask, rolling my eyes. "I'm just sayin', weird stuff happens to us." Aang stares out the window silently. The drill had taken time away for looking for our furry friend. "Don't worry Aang, we'll find Appa." Katara assures. "It's such a big city." He responds doubtfully. "He's a giant bison! Where could someone possibly hide him?" Sokka asks. I don't voice it, but I know it won't be that easy. I don't want to get into my involvement with illegal merchants with this group, so I guess I'll just have to worry about that part silently.

Ba Sing Se stretches almost as far as our eyes can see, and it has many busy roads and buildings. I wonder how my uncle ever managed to get within the wall. The train enters the monorail station, stopping there. "Back in the city. Great." Toph sighs. "What's the problem? It's amazing!" Sokka says. I smile fondly. At least one of us is excited. "It's just a bunch of walls and rules. You wait, you'll get sick of it in a couple of days." She insists. On the other side of the track there is a woman with long dark hair that billows in the wind. She approaches us with an aggressively wide smile on her face. "Hello, my name is Joo Dee! I have been given the great honor of showing the Avatar around Ba Sing Se. And you must be Sokka, Katara, Toph, and Li! Welcome to our wonderful city. Shall we get started?" She introduces, using the fake name I'd given the generals earlier. While unlikely, I didn't want to risk anyone knowing about my Firenation heritage.

"Yes. We have information about the Fire Nation army that we need to deliver to the Earth King, immediately." Sokka tells her. She doesn't even seemed fazed. "Great! Let's begin our tour. And then I'll show you to your new home here. I think you'll like it!" She just redirects like we're distractable children. "Ugh! Maybe you missed what I said. We need to talk to the king about the War, it's important." Sokka reiterates. "You're in Ba Sing Se now. Everyone is safe here." This is becoming freakier by the second.

🪨🪨🪨🪨🪨 

"This is the Lower Ring." Joo Dee in forms from inside the ostrich horse drawn carriage. Refugees line the streets, looking dirty and sad, but also curious. "What's that wall for?" Katara asks. "Oh, Ba Sing Se has many walls! There are the ones outside protecting us, and the ones inside, that help maintain order. This is where our newest arrivals live, as well as our craftsman and artisans, people that work with their hands. It's so quaint and lively!" I notice two men conversing in an alley. One of them is holding a large sword that glistens in the light. Both glare at the carriage as it passes. Yeah, lively. "You do want to watch your step, though." I am still disgusted by the walls. Though classism is a problem in the Firenation, not even we created physical barriers.

"Why do they have all these poor people blocked off in one part of the city?" Katara asks, almost voicing my thoughts. "This is why I never came here before. I always heard it was so different from the way the monks taught us to live." Aang says. I look out the window, feeling awkward. I notice an older man carrying a large vase filled with to the brim with orange flowers. They cover his face, making it easy for me to imagine Uncle. Always finding random things to 'brighten the place.' I smile fondly until my heart squeezes with grief, not knowing if he's even alive anymore.