Chapter 17

🌷 (Y/n) P.O.V. 🌷

I had contracted a fever somewhere along the road. We've been airborne for a while, only landing at night to camp out. I am pretty much useless, and felt it the more that Katara catered to my every need. I slip in an out of consciousness constantly. Right now I'm awake, either wrapped in a sleeping bag or swaddled in a blanket. I'm not really sure of much. "I think this is it for me." I admit as Katara puts a hand to my forehead. "You're still burning up. It's been days." She frets. "Really? I'm colder then a penguins nipple." I hiss. She glares at my use of metaphor, but the others snicker. "You need some water."

"I don't want it." I whine grumpily. It turns into a coughing fit, and I change my mind. "Get some more rest, (Y/n)." Sokka pipes up. I roll my eyes. That's all I do. "Don't wake me up until I'm better."

🪨🪨🪨🪨🪨

I sit cuddled into Mom's side in the Royal Gardens. The water from the kidney shaped pond sparkles in the sunlight. We're feeding turtle ducks; a mother and her four babies. "Hey Mom, want to see how Azula feeds turtle ducks?" Zuko pipes up. He throws the rest of the loaf of bread into the water and hits one of the baby turtle ducks. I gasp in surprise. "Zuko! Why would you do that?" Mom scolds. After the baby turtle duck surfaces again, the mother turtle duck charges forth and bites Zuko's ankle hard. "Ow! Ow ow! Ouch!" I laugh at him as Mom removes the turtle duck from Zuko and gently throws her back into the pond, where she swims off with her babies. Zuko pouts. "Stupid turtle duck. Why she'd do that?" He asks.

"Uh, maybe because you hurt her family?" I remind. "Zuko. That's what moms are like." She puts her arm around him, "If you mess with their babies," She playfully bites behind Zuko's ear, "they're gonna bite you back!" We all laugh. A little while later, while walking around the palace, we see Azula, Mai, and Ty Lee playing together by a large fountain. While Mai sits and watches under the shade of a tree, Azula does a complicated flip but messes up the ending and grunts. Ty Lee does the same flip, only she completes the ending perfectly and lands on her feet, arms proudly up in the air. Azula pushes her over and laughs. I frown at her, and tighten my grip on Mom's hand. Zuko would call me a baby for still holding onto Mom like that, but I know he's just too embarrassed to do the same.

"Ugh! Azula!" Ty Lee cries. I see Azula whisper something to her before running up to us. "Mom! Can you make Zuko play with us? We need equal teams to play a game!" She says. "What about me?" I ask. "You're boring. And you can't bend even a little. You wouldn't do."  I feel like I've been struck. While I didn't really want to play her games, I didn't enjoy being excluded. "Azula." Mom says warningly. "I am not cart-wheeling." Zuko butts in. "You won't have to. Cart-wheeling's not a game, dum-dum." She insults. "I don't care. I don't want to play with you! You're just mean!"

"We are brother and sister. It's important for us to spend time together! (Y/n) can even come be the judge. Don't you think so, Mom?" Mom places her hands on Zuko's shoulder. "Yes, darling, I think it's a good idea to play with your sister." She ruffles his hair, letting go of my hand. "Go on now, just for a little while." She tells us, walking away. Zuko glares at the ground. "At least we can play together?" I suggest, trying to cheer him up. I smile smugly. "And there's Mai." I say in a sing song voice. He blushes. "Yeah, whatever." Azula reaches for an apple on the tree that Mai was under. Mai, now standing in front of the fountain, is still while Azula places the apple on her head.

"Here's the way it goes." She places the apple on Mai's head, and she runs back several feet. "Now what you do is, try to knock the apple off the other person's head, like this." Azula shoots a small jet of flame to the apple and sets it on fire. Zuko panics and runs toward Mai, who screams as Zuko approaches her. He slams into her and the both of them fall into the fountain, with Zuko lying on top of Mai's stomach. Both seem very shocked and embarrassed. Azula starts laughing at them. "See, I told you it would work!" Azula cheers. I rush forward to help them out of the water. "Are you guys okay?" The nod, blushing awkwardly. "Aww, they're so cute together!" Ty Lee says.