Chapter 23 - Tales of Ba Sing Se

🌷(Y/n) P.O.V.🌷

"I'm going out." I announce plainly. The group had no plans to see the king or leads on Appa, and there was a particular event on my mind. "Where are you going?" Katara asks. "Out." I repeat monotonously. "To do what?" Sokka presses. "None of your business!" I snap. A bit of awkward silence follows. My outbursts had definitely been less frequent, and it was rare for me to whirl on Sokka of all people. However, I don't feel like explaining or apologizing, so I leave in a huff. 

Traveling for so long, I'd grown accustomed to busy, quaint markets. I'm almost intimidated by the posh looking crowd, and expensive looking shops. This is supposed to be the crowd I belong to. I grew up in a palace for spirits sake. And yet, I feel so out of place. The more I see, the more I distance myself from the Firenation, the more I feel I made the right decision joining the Avatar. Joo Dee had given us each a little money to 'see the sights of the marvelous city,' but I'm pretty sure they were just hoping to keep us occupied and distracted. Regardless, I'm happy to have it for this. 

I start by looking for a small basket. The shop has many lavish looking baskets, but I opt for a simple one. "Are you sure you wouldn't prefer this pretty one? It's one of a kind, and useful for any occasion." The girl at the counter suggests. "No, this one is just fine." I reply curtly. She simply nods, and accepts my money. It's at this point that I feel eyes on me. I turn cautiously, looking around the shop for anything suspicious. I suspect Joo Dee, Dai Li, or even perhaps my sister, but that all proves to be paranoia when I notice the little ponytail peeking up from the window frame. I roll my eyes. I should have known... I walk out the shop to find Sokka still peeking in the window. "You need to work on your stealth." I tell him. He yelps in surprise, and nearly falls over. "What? Oh, (Y/n)! What a coincidence! I was just...hanging around, you know? What are you, uh, what are you doing around?" 

"Why are you following me, Sokka? Can't I do anything on my own? What, you think I'm gonna go rogue or something?" I know he doesn't think that, but I feel so defensive. He immediately looks guilty. "No! I just got worried. You seemed upset." I let out a sigh of exhaustion. "So instead of asking like a normal person, you decide to snoop?" 

"You don't exactly make it easy to talk to you. Not about yourself anyway." While I know he's right, it stings. I turn on my heel and keep walking. And of course, he follows like a lost polar bear puppy. "(Y/n), wait, I'm sorry. Let me start over." 

"I think you made yourself clear, Sokka. I really don't understand what you want."

"I want to spend time with you." That sentence makes me stop in my tracks. I look at him like he's grown another head. I don't think anyone has said that to me in my entire like. He looks away, cheeks pink, and fidgets uncomfortably. I feel my heart soften for him all over again. "You can come with me so long as there are no more questions until I'm ready, okay?" He immediately perks up, and nods. I hide my exasperation. Who knew liking a boy could be so exhausting?

🪨🪨🪨🪨🪨

By the time the sun is setting, I find everything I need, and drag us to a spot as far from the busy streets as I can. It just a small grassy plain, not much to see, but it's enough to give me some sort of privacy. To his credit, Sokka has not complained once, and kept the conversation to anything but my plans. We'd shared the whole day together, including a meal. It could almost feel like a date if it weren't for what today was. I felt...normal. I sit down on my knees, and set up some rocks in a small, neat pile. There isn't much around, the Upper Ring even keeps nature presentable. Still, it works. I put the fruit at the base, and light the incense sticks. "It's incomplete." I say. "I couldn't get a painting made. I don't remember what he looks like anymore."

Sokka, who is sat beside me, puts his hand over mine. "It's my cousins birthday." I finally explain. "My uncle's son. Lu Ten. This stupid war took him. I would celebrate with my uncle every year. At first, it was just about keeping Uncle company. Then it became important to me too. This is the first time I can't do this without him, and I don't know if he is even..." Sokka squeezes my hand. "I can't always remember what my mother looked like. It's a fleeting image." It makes me feel less alone. "I'm going to do something my Uncle taught me, you have to promise not to make fun of me."

"Promise." He assures. I take a shaky breath. I'm not sure if it's from incoming tears or nervousness. 

"Leaves from the vine, falling so slow. Like fragile, tiny shells, drifting in the foam. Little soldier boy, come marching home. Brave soldier boy, comes marching home. 

Ash in the snow, falling so slow. Like fragile broken hearts with no place to go. Little soldier boy, taken from home. Forced to fight a war that was not his own. 

Little soldier boy, cold and alone. Brave soldier boy never made it home. 

Leaves from the vine, changing so slow. Like empty fallen souls looking for a home. 

Little soldier boy, thought he could soar. Brave soldier boy fallen in the war. My little soldier boy, I need you home. Brave soldier boy, come marching home."

Sokka shifts closer, wrapping his arms around me. I don't reciprocate, I'm frozen to the spot. tears flow silently, and I stare down at the incomplete set up. We stay in that position until the incense stops burning, and darkness sets in. 

"We should get back. I'm sure the others are getting worried." I decide aloud. He nods and we stand together. We start back in to town, quiet until I admit, "Sometimes I wish Zuko and I were more like you and Katara." He scoffs in amusement. "But we fight all the time."

"Yeah, but it's not real. At the end of the day, you would fight for each other, not turn against each other. I was more like that with Lu Ten." 

"Zuko is a jerk. He's not worth wishing better for." 

"He was the only person who understood for a long time. Besides, if Katara was a bad person, you'd still care about her." It's not a question, it's a fact. And he knows it. He doesn't need to respond, and he doesn't provide one. 

We remain in silence until we get to the house. It's dark inside, so I assume the others are asleep. I go to carefully open the door, but Sokka stops me. Even in the dark, I can see the deep blush on his face. "Your singing voice was beautiful." 

I chuckle. "Singing lessons were never in my curriculum, you must be delusional."

"I think everything you do is beautiful, (Y/n)." I've forgotten any and all words. I feel my insides flipping over themselves, and my head is spinning. I can't tell what this rush is. Excitement? Fear? "I can't begin to understand the choices you've made, understand how you ended up next to me. You're a skilled fighter, a princess, and I'm..."

"You're everything, Sokka. Everything I want. My uncle used to tell me to look inward, think about what I want. All I think about is you. Thanks to you, I can feel happy again. I feel safe. You don't give yourself enough credit." His face is illuminated by the light of the moon. It makes him look innocent and ethereal. He looks...kissable. "Close your eyes." I demand softly. He does so, and I lean in. My heart is going a million miles a second, I'm practically bursting. When our lips graze, I almost lose confidence, I almost back away, but he blindly grabs my hand as if saying it's okay. So I finally smash our lips together. His free hand comes to cup my face, while I allow mine to fall to the nape of his neck, pulling him closer. It feels like everything is locking into place, it feels amazing, it feels like I've taken control of the world. I want to pull him closer and closer. I feel greedy, but I don't feel bad about it.

We break for air after what feels like both a second and an eternity. His expression is soft and fond. "Thank you." I can't stop the snort that comes out. "Thank you?" He scrunches his face in embarrassment. "It just slipped out." I shake my head, but tell him, "Kiss me again."