5. A New Day

"It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away."

-"Beautiful Day" by U2

It's pretty amazing what nearly dying will do for your perspective. Walking into the school that Monday morning, David felt alive for the first time. He didn't see every negative thing that could happen like he normally did.  When he walked into his classes, he felt happy to be there. He actually volunteered to answer questions. The teachers and other students in the class noticed, as well. He didn't pay attention to any of the reactions, though. He wasn't overzealous like a teacher's pet, but he didn't sit there like the depressed kid he had been.  For David, he just felt like he was living the normal life any other student would in school. At lunch, which was the normal time for David to sit alone and sulk, he sat down and ate with a great demeanor. He might have been alone, but he acted as if he was surrounded by those who loved him. He didn't talk to himself or pretend people were there; he just ate like he didn't have a care in the world.  This behavior continued the entire day. When he got home, even his mom could see the change in him.

"How was your day, hon?" his mom asked as he entered the kitchen.

"Surprisingly, great. I don't know why it felt different, but it did," David replied.

"Well, that's good. I had been worried about you since Taylor moved and Pop died.  You were in a pretty dark place there for a while. 

"I guess I just needed time to get through it. I know that I'll always feel the pain, but I just needed time to lessen it a little bit."

Perhaps the grieving period was part of the reason, but deep down, David knew it was because, for the first time, he was happy to be alive. Even if he went to school for the rest of the year and was still all alone, he had too much to be thankful for. Being alive meant he would no longer take things for granted. What would that mean moving forward? Would he continue to be a loner, but with sunny disposition? Maybe he would actually try to make friends with other people. For now, he was happy just being happy. If friendships came from this, it was just a bonus.  He could be scared to approach people even though he had a smile on his face. 

That night, he went to bed wondering how the rest of the week would go. He made a decision that night to be open to talking to people in social situations. Most of the people he shared classes with, have been his classmates since kindergarten. There were a few transplants every year, but the main core had been unchanged for the last 10 or so years. In a town of under 9,000, everyone pretty much knew everyone or at least knew of them. He could imagine the shock Taylor must have gotten when he moved to Nashville. He would be in a high school with as many kids who are in all three levels of the schools here. Nevertheless, David had to finally stand on his own two feet without the crutch of Taylor.

----------------------------------------------

6:30 am Wednesday Morning was the beginning. He got up with a purpose and tried to make it a point to talk to new people-at least people he never talked to on a daily basis. Walking downstairs, his mom reminded him of something that would change things even more.

"So when do you think you will be ready to take your driver's test?" she asked with a big smile on her face.

"Oh my gosh! I totally forgot. I think I am ready. When do you think we can go?"

"Ok, I'll stop by there after I drop you off at school and set up an appointment. If I can get you in today, I'll pick you up early." His mom could hardly contain her emotions. On one hand, she was excited for David to have some freedom. On the other hand, she was terrified to give him that freedom because that means he is growing up and potentially moving on. What David didn't know was that Pop had already planned on giving him the old beamer sitting in the garage of his condo. David's mom had yet to completely clear out the place. Pop had set all of his bills on autopay so everything was functioning as if he were still living. Eventually, she would get to it, but with what happened to David, it wasn't really a priority.