I took off the sheet and turned to him.   I watched his eyes flicker with pride, excitement and desire.   Oh shit I didn't expect the desire.  He walked to me and pulled me to his side.

"You may be more suited to this life than you thought angel" he said pulling me back to the lounge.   He walked over to the kitchen and pulled out two paper cups.  I sat on the sofa and he joined me opening the champagne and filling the cups.  He passed one to me and relaxed on the sofa.

"What wrong Pierre" I asked.

"You notice more than many people Pria" it's not often he used my name.   "There is no option to exchange you for Vlad" he said his tone somber. 

"Ok well I thought it was a long shot" I said.  "So this is our last goodbye"

"It's not what you think.  Vlad is dead" I turned towards Derek and saw a single tear roll down his cheek.

I reached out and placed my hand on his.  He flicked his gaze to me.  "Why do you still show compassion to someone deemed as your enemy" he asked me.

"Pain is pain Pierre.  I am unsure why you thought that pain and suffering to others fulfilled your life it was obvious to me it was love" I said taking my hand back.

"I never thought I was capable of love but maybe your right" Pierre and I sat quietly drinking the most expensive champagne in our paper cups.  I almost laughed.  I was in the last place I wanted to be with the someone who held my life in his hands. 

Suddenly we heard an explosion as Pierre bolted up.  He looked at me with panic and anger.   "Stay here" he said before bolting from the room.

Like hell.   I ran to my room and found some boots and dashed for my switch blade.  I went to the closet and searched through the cupboards.  I finally found just one item that would be useful.  A bobby pin. 

I pulled it out of the back of the draw.  I checked my outfit and it was dark and I fumbled around for a warm coat in case I ended up on the run. 

I went to the door of the apartment and used the pin to open the door and crept down the staircase.   Luck was on my side.  In Pierre's rush he forgot to shut the electronic door as I peeped around the door to the corridor. 

It was empty but there was gunfire and shouting somewhere downstairs.  I crept along the corridor and lay down at the landing to look down into the hallway.   I couldn't see anyone but heard a lot of commotion. 

I crossed the landing and discovered a second corridor.  Creeping down I tried a few doors until I reached a second staircase tucked into the end corner of the corridor.  It looked like an old servants entrance.   It was quieter in this part of the house.   As I descended the stairs I looked around to a small corridor that led into a pantry.   Looking out the pantry door I could see the kitchen and to the far right a door to outside.  The noise of fighting and shouting was the other side of the kitchen and close but this may be my only chance of escape.  

I tiptoed across the room towards the door.  "Where do you think your going?" I spun to see Igor.  Fuck.  This was the last person I wanted to see. 

He walked towards me.  "Come with me butterfly I'll help you fly" I saw the wicked glint in his eye as well as the bulge of a gun on his hip.  I didn't back up I was facing this.   I will not be afraid anymore. 

I felt for the switchblade and clicked it.  As the clock sounded he pounced.  He grabbed for me as I swung up and thrust the knife in his side he recoiled with excitement.  Excitement? Was he the devil. 

He pulled out his gun raising it towards me.  "Let's play sweetheart a quick death is not worthy of you" he said. 

I watched him waiting for his move as another person barged into the room.   Derek.  He glanced at me before looking at Igor with the gun holding his side. 

"We need to move" he said looking to me. 

"You are not taking my butterfly" Igor said but before he could say anything more Derek had moved.   As he lunged for Igor the gun went off.   They fell to the floor as the gun slid out across the room.  I lunged for it and turned to the men. 

As they rolled around I moved towards them and then as Derek was underneath I flew onto Igor back.  As my full weight landed in Igors back I pulled the gun and shot him in the head. 

As soon as the shot rang out I pulled off his body and vomited.   As I finished I wiped my mouth and then pulled Igor off Derek. 

He had a bullet wound to the shoulder.  I ripped open his shirt dashing around the kitchen I found some water and cleaned the wound.  Derek told me where there was first aid in the pantry.  I grabbed bandages and dressed his wound.

"Come on" I said.  I pulled him to his feet. "Do you have a coat?" I asked.  He pulled me to the pantry opened a cupboard and pulled out a coat and passed me a gun.   We both made sure we were loaded and moved to the back door.

"Too many artillery out front were gonna have to risk the forest.  I have a bag stashed with supplies.   Follow me.  Head down" he said and I followed him into the forest. 

We'd been running for about half hour.   Derek stopped and started pulling at some debris.   He pulled out a large backpack.   He put it on his back and set off again and I followed.  I wondered if again I was heading off to my doom.