27. Promises

"Sometimes people don't understand the promises they're making when they make them. But you keep the promise anyway. That's what love is. Love is keeping the promise anyway."― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars 

Oliver was looking at the woman he loved shedding tears while he couldn't do anything. He couldn't understand why she was crying and he feared the worst.

But he couldn't keep his feelings in him anymore. No matter what her feelings will be, even if she hated him, he needed to say out loud that he loved her. He lost her once when he let her go easily. But this time it was going to be different. He was going to protect her and if she allowed, bestow all his love on her.

If she didn't reciprocate his love, he will make sure she is safe and cared for and love her from far away. But never again will he let her go out in this cruel world alone. He couldn't bear the thought of anything happening to her. He never in his life wanted to feel that crippling fear of not knowing about her safety. He vowed he will do everything in his power to make sure no one could touch her.

"Do not cry, Hannah," He said, wiping away her tears," I will not impose my feelings on you. I simply had to tell you before my heart explodes. You are not obligated to reciprocate them."

He saw her hands coming up to his palms that were still cradling her face. He braced himself for the rejection but was fairly surprised when she held his hands with hers and tried to bury her face in them sobbing harder.

He gently untangled his hands from hers and embraced her holding her close as she cried into his chest. She has been strong for so long and he was grateful she trusted him enough to let go of herself in front of him.

He heard her whisper but couldn't make out what she was saying but he was itching to hear everything she says. He slowly whispered her name in her ear and felt the shiver that ran through her body.

"Hannah," He said again, "I can't hear you, love?" The endearment slipping off his mouth before he can stop himself.

Hannah looked up and swiftly but confidently pressed her lips to his.

Oliver's heart stopped beating and he sat still as a statue while she fumbled to kiss him. She pulled away when he didn't respond, more tears falling from her eyes.

Oliver came out of his trance when her confused face registered in his mind. She kissed him and he like a fool couldn't even respond. Her overflowing tears sent him in panic, he knew he has to do something before she starts getting wrong ideas in her head.

The only thing he could think of that moment was to kiss her with all his being and that's what he did till both of them broke apart panting for air. There it was the passion they always felt whenever they touch but this time something else was there and it terrified and excited them at the same time.

"Pardon me, I was simply startled. I never thought you will ever kiss me. I was sure you will reject me," He blabbered while she turned red at his every word, "Does this mean you accept me?"

She nodded her head, looking away shyly.

"Do you love me?" He asked seriously, with a heart in his hand knowing full well she has the power to crush it beneath her feet.

"I already answered it. It is not my fault that you didn't hear it," She said teasing him.

"Hannah," Oliver whined, "This is not fair."

Her smug tear-stained face made Oliver laugh too. The tension in the air vanished and he knew everything would be alright now. There was a long way to go but they knew they will make it.