9. Recuperation

"Oh, what a wonderful soul so bright inside you. Got power to heal the sun's broken heart, the power to restore the moon's vision too." ― Aberjhani

"Miss Murphy."

Her happy bubble burst and evaporated in thin air. The dream she has been living crashed on her.

"Yes, milord," She said trying not to let her voice break.

The silence stretched between them and Hannah couldn't help herself from looking up. His black eyes were dazed and trained on her and she couldn't find the end of those dark pools.

"The soup," She blurted without thinking, "The soup is getting cold, milord."

Her words brought Oliver out of the trance and he tried to pick up the spoonful of soup, a sudden wave of dizziness swept over him.

"I do not feel the strength in my arms," He said trying to focus his vision.

"You have been sleeping for 3 days, milord, without any food," She said helping him with water.

"Three days!!" He exclaimed.

"Yes, milord," She said holding the spoonful of soup to feed him. 

He quietly ate while she fed him without looking into his eyes.

"Lucas wrote to me that aunt Ida gave you the employment at her estate, I hope you are comfortable at Raymond's," He said trying to make the conversation.

"I am, milord, Lady Raymond is very kind," She said her eyes downcast.

"I hope you got all the help from Mr. Morrinson regarding your visit to London," He said after a moment.

"Yes, milord, Mr. and Mrs. Morrison have been very helpful," She said.

"Miss Murphy,"

"Hannah," She snapped.

Both of them froze at her sharp response. Hannah came back to her senses before they realized she disrespected the lord of the manor.

"I am sorry, milord, I will leave at once. I am sorry," She started apologizing profusely. She turned around abruptly to leave.

"Hannah," He said softly and she felt the heaviness in her stomach at the mention of her name. The feeling was very new and absolutely terrifying.

"Hannah," he called her once again and she masked her face to impassive before turning back to him while the butterflies in the stomach continue to create havoc.

"I am sorry, milord, I shouldn't have spoken to you in such a manner," She apologized once again.

"You do not like to be called by your mother's name," He stated.

She never felt so vulnerable as she felt at that moment in front of him. He didn't even have the strength to stand up and she was the one on the verge of falling down.

"Yes, milord," She said her voice cracking.

"I understand, please forgive me if I have caused you any distress," He said.

She wanted him to stop talking, his words were making her face everything she had forgotten in the last few days.

"I should leave, milord. The doctor prescribed a lot of rest for you to get well," She said picking up the food tray to leave.

"Mrs. Morrison told me you were the one to take care of me while I was unconscious," He said not wanting her to leave so soon.

"Everyone was busy with their chores, I was the only one who could spare the time," She said in a clipped tone, angered at him making her feel so exposed.