Chapter 3

Song applies to driving scenes throughout this chapter 

        Shit shit shit.

        Kalani's mind and heart was racing as she hopped into Ryan's truck, the air inside was suffocatingly hot compared to the cool outdoors. I can't do this, fuck! Biting her lip hard enough to taste the familiar warm metallic taste rushing into her mouth making her momentarily gag.

        "So, what's it going to be," breathed Ryan as he climbed into the truck, "McDonalds or Burger King?"

        "Is that even a question?" scoffed Kalani, everyone knew her go-to was McDonalds, Burger King just wasn't it.

        Ryan shrugged and began reversing out of her driveway, suddenly the whole situation seemed to hit her. She gnawed on her freshly manicured nails, ignoring the marks she left on them. Giving her a sideways glance, Ryan's hand met hers to steady it. Kalani took it gracefully and started playing with the rings that adorned his long fingers.

        Frowning, she let her fingers brush over a new one she hadn't seen before. The thin black band was engraved with something she couldn't make out in the moving vehicle. "Hey, this one's new, where did you get it?".

        Had she imagined his eyes widening or had they really? For Ryan quickly took back his hand and brushed off the question.

        "Here we go, McDonalds, what would you like?".

        Kalani took a glimpse at him before answering, "Uh- double Quarter Pounder plea- oh and a large Sprite."

        Pulling up to the order station Ryan began ordering asking for a large shake and chicken sandwich for himself. Kalani smirked at him.

        "Who orders chicken at McDonald's," she said in an attempt to tease him and lighten the mood.

        Ryan smiled and tussled his hair, "I do, got a problem with that?" he raised his eyebrows at her.

        Kalani rolled her eyes trying to play it off like his words hadn't sent her into a trance. They got their food and didn't bother to stop to eat. Suddenly her favorite song began playing. 

        "Oh I love this song!" Kalani turned the volume up, blurting out the lyrics in-between every bite and sip.

        "You are just completely murdering this song," groaned Ryan playfully, smacking her lightly on her thigh.

        Kalani tried not putting much attention to his hand, which still lingered on it. His fingers gripping her jeans had caused her stomach to erupt with the feeling of butterflies. Ryan suddenly seemed to realize his extremity's location and silently brought it back to its position on the steering wheel.

        He looked slightly embarrassed, "Sorry, I don't know what came over me."

        Not knowing what else to say she blurted out softly to herself, "Oh I didn't mind it." She had hoped he hadn't heard.

        Ryan gave no indication that he had heard and focused his gaze on the slowly faltering sunlit-windshield. 

...

        The next couple of hours had felt like an eternity, the ride was mostly silent besides the occasional small awkward conversations, a futile attempt at leavening the mood. Kalani's mind wandered and began doubting the whole plan, things had never been this unbearably awkward before with Ryan. Of course the pair had had plenty of sensitive experiences together, the most recent one being at her house when they had first explored each others mouths. But that was understandable, they were both incredibly nervous, as much as Ryan had denied it. This was different though, they were uncomfortable. He had barely even looked at her, even when they were having small snippets of conversation.

        "Kalani."

        Is this a bad idea?

        "Kalani?"

        God I never should've done this.

          "Jesus are you even listening?"

        Kalani jumped in her seat, staring dully at Ryan, surprised he had raced his voice. "I'm sorry, what?".

         Ryan gave an exasperated sigh and rubbed his temple, receiving a silent eyebrow-raise from his female companion. "I asked you like ten times if you wanted to stop and rest for the night".

        "Sure."

...

If you guys liked it make sure to vote and comment! <3