Chapter 1

Kalani Velez huffed as she scrolled through her friends Snapchat stories. She could only hear bits and pieces of the late night events as she tapped furiously through them. It's just not fucking fair, she thought. Her tennis team had hosted a party the night before and half the school had gone, obviously, she had not. Her parents, being as they were Mexican, were as strict as they come. She had only just gotten her first phone a couple months ago for her 17th birthday. 

        "Kalani, we're leaving." her mother said as she rapped on the bedroom door lightly.

         She looked up, quickly wiping her tears and threw her phone to the opposite end of the room earning a stern glare from her mom. "Ok mammi, when are you coming back again?".

        Before her mom could speak, her dad called from the living room, "We'll be back by Monday", Kalani's mom confirmed it by giving her a small nod.

        "You're a hundred percent sure you're going to be fine taking care of your siblings the whole weekend? We can still ask your grandma to come over." The last sentence made Kalani roll her eyes for which she received a small lecture, "and don't you dare roll your eyes at me." she said pointedly.

        "Of course we'll be ok, I'm 17 and just have fun it's your anniversary after all," she said cheekily, smiling at her mom.

        Sighing, the older woman walked over to her and stroked Kalani's almost-black hair. "No friends, no calling other people, no hanging out, no sneaking out, no fighting with your siblings, and absolutely no boys", she massaged her temples slowly, "please don't do anything stupid".

        Kalani stared back at her, chewing the inside of her cheek, this was the first time she had ever stayed home alone for this long and she wasn't planning on moping around bored as hell all weekend. "I know", she stated simply without meeting her mothers eyes, not wanting to drag the situation out any longer than it should, it had taken her parents a week of convincing to allow Kalani to stay alone in the house along with her younger sister and brother.

        Just then, her sister walked into the room and plopped down beside them, causing the bed to creak slightly. She rested her head on their mother's shoulder.

        "Aria, I trust you and your sister to take care of Alejandro," her mom said, getting up to join their dad waiting in the kitchen.

        Aria gave Kalani a knowing look, "You know we will," she said giggling, "and by we I mean I".

        Kalani shoved her sister playfully, but she knew it was true, even at 16 Aria was way more responsible with kids than she ever was.

        Soon, they all walked out into the kitchen where Alejandro and their dad was. Running a hand through his greying hair, her dad looked at everyone, "Well, be good and I love you." He kissed Kalani's cheek and whispered, "take care of them alright Lani?".

        She gave him a nod and hugged him back, guilt pricking at the back of her head knowing she wasn't happy being stuck for a whole weekend taking care of her siblings. 

...    

        Once seeing their car rev off towards the road, Kalani rushed back to her room, determined to talk to the one person she could not keep her mind off of. Her heart skipped a beat when she finally retrieved her phone from across the room and saw the notification from him. Unlocking her phone and opening her messages she walked over to her window, sticking her head out and craning her neck to see all his house's lights off except his.

        So?

        Kalani took a deep breath and texted him back.

        They're gone, won't be back till Monday 

        She clutched her phone against her chest, feeling her heart pounding hard. Finally after what felt like an eternity, she felt the familiar buzz against her skin and once again opened the message.

        Ight, so watchu wanna do??

        A small smile began to mold her face as she wrote back, momentarily giggling at the ridiculous message she was about to send.

        Idk how bout we go on a road trip lmao

        Kalani tossed her phone to the side, not realizing the chain of events about to unfold thanks to the text. Waiting for a response back, she began setting up her new laptop to re watch Euphoria, she couldn't help but imagine herself in the show. She'd kill to have both Maddy and Cassie's outfits. She was mesmerized by the way the characters had such freedom over their lives, whether it was over sex or drugs or even just being able to hangout with whoever they wanted.

        The sudden ding of her phone startled her and so she paused the episode she was on to check the message. Kalani expected a quick lmao or haha ur funny but definitely not this. She reread the one worded message more times than she could care to remember. Feeling a wave of bliss in her chest she silently put her phone down.

        Bet

If you enjoyed this please vote!!