Chapter 14

Chapter 14

It hadn't even been three days and I received another phone call from Kaitlyn. We had been exchanging emails but we hadn't planned to have another phone call. I had been lying on my bed sprawled out when my phone began to play Beethoven. It was my papa who got me into classical music.

However I answered the call and heard Kaitlyns voice say, "Sorry to call without warning, but we need to talk."

Her words were being spoken so quickly that they began to slur together, I knew than that whatever she had to say was very important. As Kaitlyn calmed herself down I noticed that my own body wad trembling all over. I wad scared that it would be bad news, news that I didn't want to hear.

"Beirget.... Hazel, your mother had recently been having trouble with her memory and just this morning was told she has dementia. She could forget everything, even you. Please you need to come see her before she does."

For a few moments I didn't know what to say, my mind was blank. I stumbled over my words and my heart wad beating so very fast.

"I can pay for flights." Almost as if knowing what I was going to say Kaitlyn interrupted.

"You can stay at my place." I could hear her breathe in and put over the phone, like what a person does when they're trying to remain calm.

"Listen, I honestly believe that you are Hazel. Your not a fake copy, everything about you screams out that your the original. So if this is a trick then your damn amazing.

I don't want you to be a fake, I want you to be her. All I've wanted the past 22 years was my best friend back. And right now Hazel's mother needs her, more than anything. Please, will you come?"

I bite my lip, my entire body trembling, with what I dont know. It could be fear or excitement. Sometimes its very east to get those two mixed up.

"I'll need to talk to my mama and papa first. But I promise ill be there as soon as possible."

My mama and papa only like a short walk away from my flat. Its one of the reasons I purchased it. Looking around me as I walk I notice things are very different here compared to where I used to live. Not just the landscape, but the people too.

They're all very polite and generous. Whereas back in America people would growl like a dog if you accidently bumped into them. I think I prefer the quiet and calm of where I live now compared to where I used to live.

I never got to travel before because of my cancer. My trip to Amsterdam with Gus wad just a one off. I never got the chance to experience Germany, and I think that if I had my opinion would remain the same as it is now.

My mama and papa love in a 3 bedroom bungalow, I grew up in it. Since I moved out they turned my bedroom into a library.

"No way you can move back in now." My mama would joke.

If I fell upon hard timed I know my mama would let me move back in. Whereas she would take Markus back is a different matter.

"He is my son and I will always love him, but he needs to learn to take responsibility for his actions."

As I approach the door I realise I still have no idea how im going to explain this. I can't tell them about my past life, it would hurt them too much. So when my mama answers the door I force a smile and hug her.

What if my mum really did forget me? I don't know how I would cope with that. It would break my heart all over again. To come so close to being reunited only to be forgotten.

My mama invites me inside and we head straight to the living room. My papa is sprawled out across the couch and my mama laughs.

"Lazy pig!" She exclaims, and she pushes him aside so I can sit beside him.

He slowly gets into a sitting position and grumbles something about abuse.

"Good to see you too papa."

We talk over a cup of tea, mostly about the shop and my parents nosey neighbours. Eventually I decide that I need to ask them.

"You know my friend Ingrid? She had asked me if I could accompany her on a trip to the US. She had family there that would offer us accommodation...."

My mama sticks her fingers in the air, asking for silence.

"Beirget, you are an adult now, you're free to do as you please."

She takes a sip of her tea, "Provided you can afford it and you contact us everyday."

Those are my mamas rules, my papa isn't even remotely interested. Infact he's fell asleep with his mouth open and a digestive biscuit in his hand.

That night I email Kaitlyn.

"I can come, what dates suit you best? I can take any time off that I need."

I click the send button and i don't have to wait long for a reply.

"Hazel, preferably next week. Would that suit you?"

We email each other back and forth for perhaps 40 minutes and its decided that I will book my tickets tomorrow evening.

She'll meet me at Indianapolis airport and we'll go straight to her place. Depending on the time we may go to see Isaac.

"He had a girlfriend now, her names Molly. Him and Monica didn't last."

"What happened?"

"She was stealing money, of course him being blind he couldn't see. Not only that she was seeing someone else behind his back."

I'm appalled, "I just thought she was bitchy but that's fucking disgraceful!"

I yelled into the phone, but thinking about lovers, Kaitlyn hadn't mentioned one to me. I guess ill know when I return to Indianapolis, when I return home.