Chapter 26

Chapter 26

I stumble back with shock, its not that Matt looks the way he did before, but his eyes. They're looking right into mine and I feel it, its Augustus. He then turns away and begins flipping through the pages in his book.

Tears fill my eyes, from the second I could talk I spoke of my life as Hazel, and before that I remember getting flashbacks. And its as clear to me as it is that this is my Gus, that Matt doesn't remember his previous life or me.

I stifle my tears and try to calm myself. I've found Augustus, however he's a toddler, my nephew and he doesn't remember, none of it. At his age I remembered everything from our kiss to throwing eggs at Monica's green car. But he doesn't remember anything, I could see it in his eyes and theres a horrible feeling in my stomach, like in going to be sick.

I've waited so long in hope that one day I would find my Gus, and now that I have, I'm beginning to wonder if it would be better that I hadn't.

My legs feel like jelly and im scared that if I try to move they wont be able to hold me. Slowly I inch my way towards Gus, and with every step another part of my heart breaks. Once im beside him I whisper, "Hello."

He looks at me with big blue baby eyes and giggles. I smile thinking how bittersweet and unfair this all is. I pull Gus onto my lap and I feel a spark, the same spark I felt when I touched Isaac, but nothing happens.

He doesn't suddenly remember and he's not suddenly an 18 year old boy, he's still the baby Matt. I gently run my fingers over his chubby baby cheeks, this is so unfair! I wipe my tears away and compose myself before returning to the living room.

My parents will know something's wrong and I can't bring up my past. Just remembering the hurt on my mamas face as I spoke about my past life with such fondness, stops me from ever bringing the subject up.

I pick baby Matt up and carry him through to the living room with his arms round my neck and his bottom balanced on my hips. As I enter the room my mama beams at us, "I see you've met your auntie Beirget."

"Aunnnn-ty Beeerr-git." Matt repeats.

Shining Starsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें