Chapter 25

Chapter 25

A couple of months after my return from America all possibility of that fairytale ending seemed to vanish. Kaitlyn and I had been keeping in touch regularly (which was how id heard the news that Connor had died. Apparently he'd just been found dead in his cell, karma.)

But that wasn't the reason I was losing hope in my fairytale becoming reality, it was because of my brother Markus.

One day my papa asked me to run the shop alone, he and Mama needed to discuss a matter of urgency. I don't like being kept out of the loop when it comes to my parents, but I figured if it really mattered then they'd tell me when they were ready.

However when it came time to close the shop my mama called and asked if I could go to their house because they needed to talk to me. So that's what I did, but the second my mama opened the door I knew that whatever they wanted to talk about was not something that I would expect.

My mamas face looked drawn, as if she'd been fretting over something all day. That was when I realized that she probably had. She let me in and as I entered the loving room I saw a young woman, maybe slightly older than me, sitting on the couch beside my papa.

She had tanned skin, deep brown eyes and mahogany hair. Everything about her appearance was dark and she seemed effortlessly perfect. However she looked nervous and her eyes were looking everywhere but at my mama and papa, she offered me a weak smile.

My mama gestured for me to sit on the other couch, and just as I was going to ask who the woman was my papa began talking.

"Beirget, this is Romie... She was a friend of Markus'...." I can tell my papa is uncomfortable talking about my brother, we all are.

"She had a relationship with Markus, that relationship has resulted in a baby that is now a year and a half."

My papa explains that all of this happened before Markus went away, and after he was locked up. She was left to care for their son alone, and since his birth she has been looking for us in the hope of support and a loving family for her son.

As my papa explains everything Romie looks extremely uncomfortable, as if her past ashamed her, perhaps it really does.

"What's he like?" I ask.

I have a young nephew, of course I want to know everything about him. There's a sparkle in Romie's eye at my interest in my nephew and I realize just how much having our support would mean to her.

"He's a bundle of energy, always running around and laughing his head off."

Her lips turn up at the corners and she's smiling, she's a proud mother.

"He's playing in your old bedroom right now if you want to meet him." My mamas smiling now. Obviously she's stressed at having a grandson so expectedly and no doubt she'll be pissed off at Markus, but in that moment I can tell she already loves her grandson with all her heart.

"What's his name?" Everyone in the room answers at the same time, "Matt." Everything's happened so quickly I'm not sure what I feel, happiness for my newly.found nephew, even more disappointment in Markus, but one thing I know for sure is that I'm very surprised.

I make my way to my old room where a toddler has his back to me, he seems to be playing with a puppet book while the tv plays in the background.

"Hello." I say in a high, happy voice. The toddler turns around and for the first time I see his face. And its then that my heart plummets, my heart stops and a lump forms in my throat.

"Augustus...."