Chapter 10

Chapter 10

On Sunday night I can hardly contain my excitement. I've to get up around half past 7 to get to the bookshop on time. I have no idea what Miranda will have me start on. I could be stacking, delivering, sorting through deliveries or working on the till.

When my alarm does eventually go off I shoot out of my bed like a rocket. Without thinking I go to check my reflection, before remembering that I've covered the mirror up. I quickly shower, comb my hair back and pick out my clothes. Jeans, Gus' t-shirt and my locket. I head downstairs, my empty stomach threatening to spew with the thought of having to eat breakfast.

However breakfast this morning doesn't look as bad as the morning before. A bowl awaits me on the table, full of raspberries, blueberries, grapes, bananas and strawberries. Sitting beside it is a chocolate crepe and a glass of blood red cranberry juice.

As I eat my parents rush around, my Dad shouting for his tie and my mum throwing up in the bathroom because of her morning sickness. As I watch I cant help but think its kind of beautiful, everyday life. The rush and commotion of a morning, something to be cherished.

It's precious because I might not live to see another, so I have to take in all the sights and sounds now. As I'm on my way out of the door my mum gives me a kiss on the cheek and my Dad gives gives me a good, hard punch on the shoulder.

I hop up and down before trying to skip to my car ( very hard with an oxygen tank) and begin my drive to work. I begin to think of last nights events, I had no idea Kaitlyn was lesbian. It isn't a bit deal, she's still the same Kaitlyn she was a few days before. I'm just amazed I never noticed or asked.

Kaitlyn and I have never been ones to speak openly about our sex lives. That's until last night.

The traffic on the way to work is very good, though that may be because I've travelled through back roads. The second I open the door to the bookshop and the bell chimes Miranda is next to me, holding a name pin in her hand.

"Yours." She says, pinning ut into Gus' t-shirt.

I smile and ask, "What do you want me to do today?"

The eagerness is clear in my voice and Miranda walks to the centre of the room between the book shelves. I go over and stand next to her.

"Today I just want you to point our offers to customers and assist them if they require it."

She picks two books off a shelf to our right, "For example, but a book from the science-fiction section and receive half price off another book from any section.'

Miranda makes me aware of all the offers currently running and gives me some very good pieces of advice.

"When someone enters the shop just smile, don't rush over and bombard them. Today and tomorrow it'll only be us two, bur on Wednesday I've got another part time worker starting. So he'll be good help."

And just as Miranda is walking away the belk chimes and a middle aged man with a goatee walks in. I wish him a good morning, he smiles in return before heading to the till to engage Miranda in a conversation.

Not a customer it seems but a close friend. However there are plenty of customers as the day gets older. The rush hour seems to be around midday, when everyone us on their lunch break.

I'm on my feet all day and at closing tine I'm amazed that I haven't collapsed. However once I get home that is exactly what I do on the couch. Before falling asleep all I remember us hearing my fathers hysterical laughter.

When I awake my nostrils catch scent of a fresh, doughy texture and there infront of me is a bowl of pasta.

"Dinner." My mum says.