Chapter 21

Chapter 21

That night I sit at the dinner table with Isabelle and Kaitlyn. There isn't any conversation and it's so quiet that you can hear neighbours opening and closing their doors in the hallway. Which only makes it worse because I can hear my thoughts crystal clear.

All I can think about is how cruel life was to my parents. It was so cruel to them that they greeted death with open arms. And maybe that's the way to go, but you shouldn't want to die. There should always be something worth living for.

"What do I do now?" I ask, partially to break the silence, but also because I dont know where I go from here.

"Well, your parents didn't have any other family left, at least not any that could rush over here and start planning out a funeral. So everything falls on you." Kaitlyn answers.

Oh great, no pressure then.

"Where do I even start?"

"I think you should start off by informing your remaining relatives, even if they can't attend the funeral at least you can allow them to grieve in their own way." Isabelle says, and I slightly nod my head to let her know that I agree.

From there I guess it's just a case of arranging a funeral, which is easier said than done.

I pick away at the rest of the food on my plate, not really tasting just chewing and swallowing.

"The only relatives left are your aunts and uncles." Kaitlyn tells me, and just as I'm about to answer I'm interrupted by the phone ringing. Isabelle goes to answer, leaving Kaitlyn and I alone.

"Lets get the phone book out, I've got family to call and an undertaker to hire." I say abruptly, which surprises Kaitlyn but she silently agrees.