STOLE MY HEART

[ONE WEEK LATER]

"What are you doing after school today?" Niall checked. I looked up from my cereal and shrugged.

"Donno yet," I said. "Why?"

"Because you look tired," Niall said. I shrugged my shoulders again. "You want to talk about anything, Mick?"

I can't. Why don't you understand that I can't?

"I'm fine, you don't have to worry," I mumbled. I looked down at my phone and took a deep breath when I read that Donte was outside. "Donte's here, I have to go."

"Okay, Mick. Have a good day at school, I'll see you when you get home. Okay?"

"Okay," I said numbly. "I'll see you." I threw my school bag over my shoulder and gave Niall a simple wave before I left the kitchen. I stumbled outside and walked quickly though the yard to Donte's car. I climbed in and buckled my seatbelt.

"Good morning," Donte said gruffly. I looked over at him and smiled weakly.

"Good morning," I said softly.

"You good, doll?" Donte asked.

"Yeah, of course," I said. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know, just wondering," Donte said, "do you have anything going on tonight?"

"Why?"

"Because I'm bringing you to a party with some of my friends," Donte said casually. I choked on my breath and looked up at him.

"Donte, I can't- I have an image to keep-"

"Shut up," Donte dismissed. I pressed my lips together for the rest of the ride to the school. "I'll pick you up at 10:00 tonight, get a ride after school because I'm not in the mood to drive you."

"Okay," I said. I climbed out of the car and walked, with my head down, to my first hour class. Riley eventually came and sat next to me.

"You okay, Mickey? You don't look so hot, maybe you should go to the nurse," Riley said. I looked up from my desk.

My lip was busted, my black eye was fading, and my face looked tired in the kind of way that sleep couldn't fix. Running on empty had that effect.

"I'm good, promise," I said. Riley only hummed in response.

-

After third period, I texted Louis and asked him for a ride. He texted me back immediately, saying he was on his way.

As soon as I got the notification that he was outside, I started exiting the building. I didn't know Donte was behind me until he yanked me into one of the bathrooms, out of sight.

"I know you weren't leaving without saying goodbye," Donte said. "Because if you were doing that, I'm going to have to punish you. Tell me, Mickey, is that what you were doing?" Donte stared into my eyes with his hand covering my mouth. He pulled it away.

"Louis is here," I said.

"Fuck that guy," Donte said.

"Don't talk about Louis like that," I countered. His defense fell from my lips too fast for me to even consider the consequences. Donte punched me in the gut. I wheezed.

"Don't tell me what to do," Donte said defensively. "You're not in the kind of position to make demands, are you?-" Donte hit my ribs again and I reached out to grab onto him. "-I don't like Louis. I don't like knowing that he fucked you and I still haven't, I don't like that he has every opportunity to be with you and he still doesn't. You got that?"