fourty-two - live while we're young

[ive kissed more bottles
than boys
and this is the truth:

heartbreak hurts more
than a hangover,

but numbing the pain
only makes it worse when you
feel it.]

_________________________________

"To our almost."

The sentence echoed around my head as I took my first sip of champagne. I crinkled my nose and tried to decide if I liked it.

"I should probably call Niall and make sure he's cool with this," Louis said. I nodded. Louis was more responsible than I gave him credit for, sometimes.

He was responsible when it came to me, at least.

Niall answered on the fourth ring.

"What's up?" he asked.

"Hey, you don't care if Mickey drinks a bit tonight, do you?"

"Why are you asking me?" Niall laughed.

"Because you're her legal guardian, Niall," Louis said in a duh tone. "Champagne?"

"Oh, yeah, right. Yeah, that's fine. You'll be with her?" Niall checked.

"Yeah, of course."

"Okay, that's cool, just tell her not to do anything stupid."

"You got it. Bye," Louis said. He hung up the phone and looked at me expectantly.

I took another sip of champagne.

"Do you like it?" Louis asked, drinking a bit of his own.

"Yeah, no, it's good," I said.

"So then what's up?"

"Nothings up," I said. Louis blinked expectantly. "It's nothing," I said.

"Come on, love," Louis said.

"Are you gonna drink too? Like are you gonna get drunk?" I asked.

Louis cocked his head, not immediately understanding.

"No," he said, "I'm gonna have this glass, that's all. Why?"

I swallowed. It was just Louis. I could talk to Louis. I knew that. "Because when guys get drunk around me they-"

"Oh," Louis said, "oh. No, hey, you don't have to worry about that with me."

"I know," I said, looking up at the ceiling. I knew that. "Hey, promise me that you're not gonna let me do anything tonight? Like, we won't do anything, even if I want to?"

"Of course, love. Drunk consent isn't consent, right? We're never going to do anything when you're not comfortable and completely aware."

"Even if I tell you I'm fine?"

"Especially then," he said.

I smiled softly and nodded. Then, I got an idea. "Hear me out, champagne is good, but do you think they have tequila?"

"Hold on," Louis laughed. He made a call down to the kitchen. Three minutes later, he was walking back to me with a bottle of tequila.

He unscrewed the lid, smelled it, and passed it to me. I smelled it as well, and wrinkled my nose. I looked up at Louis, unsure. He nodded.

I pressed my lips to the bottle and took a big gulp.

"Ew, what the fuck! That's gross!"

"You wanted it," Louis said, "after a few shots it won't be as bad."