9) Entering New Worlds

Start from the beginning

"There's nothing you can do. There's nothing anyone can do. It's not like some magical blue fairy or genie is going to pop out of nowhere and fix all my problems."

"You're right! Only you can." Frank spoke with such harshness, as if it was a call out on his incompetence to move on from the things of the past and move onward to create new opportunities. Brendan was shocked at the tone his brother used, as was the rabbit outside, whom came to the window in the hope that things would turn okay.

Suddenly, Frank closed his eyes for a second, turning tired and fuzzy in the head. He moaned at the sensation, but to Brendan, it looked like he was getting frustrated with him. When he opened his eyes, there was a familiar gazing in his eye, as if he was trying to familiarize himself with his surroundings. He looked around the room disillusioned, and when he came to his brother, he looked surprised to see him. "Oh, heh" he chuckled, "Brendan, when did you get here?"

Brendan swallowed whatever comeback he had for Frank's previous statements and reset himself while also feeling the need to leave. "I've actually been here a while, pal" he said. "You have?" Frank answered sadly. "Yeah, but now I have to go."

"Oh, don't go. Can't you stay a while?"

"I'm sorry, Frank... but I gotta go." He slowly backed away toward the door. "See you soon" he concluded on a low and hoarse note. He turned to the door, leaving a very confused Frank confined to his wheelchair in the living room. "Brendan... Brendan, what's wrong?" Frank called out, but Brendan didn't stop. Frank tried to jerk around in his chair to get his attention, but all he heard in response was the front door opening and closing. "Brendan!" he agonized at the verge of weeping for his brother's sadness. "Come back... come back..."

The rabbit watched from the back door, just as he had done at Brendan's apartment. Seeing an incapable Frank struggle to bring his brother back was heartbreaking. He continued watching as Frank sank back into his chair, breathing heavily. His head flopped over to the side, with streaming from his eyes. They locked eyes again, and the rabbit felt the call to action. "Please... " Frank said softly to him, "help him." Instantly, the rabbit hopped as quick as he could away from the door.

"Help him believe again... "

Meanwhile, while Brendan was walking out to his car, he received another call from Lizzie. He grumbled for a moment before reluctantly answering. "Hello?" "Hey!" she said. She was jut walking into the park to start her shift on the Jungle Cruise. She was thankful that she was able to get a hold of him before she started. "I've been trying to reach you all day."

"Well, you reached me" he replied passively. "You okay?" she asked, "you sound a little irritated."

"I just had a bit of an argument with Frank?"

"Oh... " she thought, "everything good?" She knew Frank was dealing with all the health problems and hoped that Brendan didn't push their argument too far. "I think he'll be fine. His mind switched off midway and he lost any memory of us arguing."

"Poor guy" she said sadly. Brendan didn't say anything as he hoped into his car. He looked back toward the door, hoping Frank was okay. He knew that if had said something, he would have instantly regretted it. So, in a way, he's glad that Frank's mind relapsed. "You okay, otherwise?"

"Eh... " he groaned, remembering all that had happened since he woke up. "I've certainly had better days. It's been weird today: had a bunch of animals peep through my back door, and, I don't know how, but I found myself rhyming." He gave a small smile, still not believing it.

"Huh... weird" was Lizzie's response.

"Yeah, tell me about it."

"Not as weird as all the costumes disappearing at work" she continued, to which Brendan just hissed. "You know, as weird as that was, its was the best part of my day." Lizzie was stunned to hear this. She kind of expected it but figured that it would be at a smaller degree. "Oh, c'mon dude" Lizzie countered, "don't you feel a little sad about it."