Chapter 37

Jessica's POV >>

I stuffed everything I could into the large suitcase I had found resting in the closet of my room. I emptied my drawers of clothes into the large space, until it gradually became full. I cringed at how creased my clothes would be when we got there, but Harry told me to be quick. I lifted the suitcase and snatched my Jayne Eyre book from the dresser. I quickly exited my room, the large suitcase hitting against the walls whenever I tried to move. I didn't look back, I didn't give myself a minute to think of anything I might have forgotten, there was no time.

Harry was waiting for me by the front door, but once he seen me he ran upstairs to help me handle the massive suitcase.

"Jesus Jessica, what did you pack?" He asked as he tensed and lifted the heavy case.

"Everything." I simply answered as I concentrated on his muscles, impressed by his strength.

He smiled at me and tried to remain cool, even though I noticed his slight struggle regarding getting the case down the stairs.

Once down stairs, he let the case down and stood in front of me. He slid his hand into the back pocket of his jeans and took something out. He held his hand out in front of me and opened it. He was holding the blindfold, silently asking me to put it on. I sighed and took it from his hand, I put it on myself and tied it firmly at the back.

"Wait here." Harry instructed. I heard him carrying the luggage and quickly making his way outside and down the driveway. I heard the car being unlocked, he opened the trunk and threw the bags inside. I heard him running back towards the house and sure enough he came back.

"I'm going to lead you to the car now, okay?" He asked hesitantly.

I nodded my head and outstretched my hand for him to take it. He gently took my hand in his and placed his other hand on the small of my back. He slowly lead me down the driveway, and I could hear his breathing becoming shaky. He sat me in the passengers seat and buckled my seatbelt for me. He was very gentle, it was almost as if he was afraid to touch me.

He slammed the door shut, ran around the car and got into the drivers seat. He started the engine and buckled his seatbelt. He slowly began to drive. I tilted my head back against the seat and listened to the stones crunching underneath the tyres, preparing myself for the long ride ahead.

Suddenly Harry slammed on the brakes.

"Fuck." I heard him curse under his breathe.

I jerked forward and immediately took off my blindfold to see what happened. We were still in the driveway.

"Jessica, put it back on please. I just forgot something, I'll be right back. Just, put that back on and stay here." He ordered as he quickly left the car.

I watched him jog to the front door and fumble with his keys. I wonder what he forgot, probably his toothbrush or something silly like that. I softly smiled and lightly shook my head. This isn't a vacation, something's happened. It must be serious if we have to leave Harry's house. I hated being oblivious, I hated - not knowing.

I sat in the car and waited, taking the time to admire the clouds in the sky. I heard the trunk being opened and quickly slammed shut again. Harry sat in the drivers seat and started the car.

We sped down the road and he took a left, driving down this barren street. It must be a country road. Fields upon fields stretched out on either side of the road.

"Jessica, I told you to put it back on." Harry reminded me. Except, his tone was different from before. He sounded mad and pissed off. At what? I hadn't said anything...

I untied the knot from before, taking my time so I could enjoy the view. I starred out of the front window and noticed a car coming our way. A car. A real live car, with other people in it.

I leaned towards my window beside me and watched as the car sped past. It was too fast to see who was in it, but it still gave me a thrill. Seeing other people, having the reassurance that this whole situation isn't some crazy dream - which is what it's been starting to feel like lately.

I let out a deep breathe with a smile on my face. I leaned my head back against my seat and looked at Harry, who seemed too concentrated to have noticed.

"Did you see that Harry? Did you see the car?" I whispered in a calm tone, appreciating what I had just seen, wearing a smile on my face.

"I said, put the fucking blindfold back on Jessica. I won't, ask you, again." Harry shouted, causing me to jump in my seat.

I quickly did as he said. I lifted it up to my eyes and with shaking hands tied the knot as best I could. I pulled hard at the back, making sure the knot was secure. I felt the material of the blindfold soak up my tears, not giving them a chance to fall.

We sat in silence, I don't know how long but it felt like an eternity. I felt the car slowing down and eventually it came to a stop. I heard Harry unbuckle his seatbelt and open his door. I could hear voices, near the widow to my right. The mumbled talking stopped and I heard one set of footsteps walking further and further away until I couldn't hear them anymore.

Suddenly a knock came to the window beside me. I stilled.
The knock came again. But I remained still and tried to ignore it.

"Jessica, it's me." I heard the familiar voice call from outside the car. Although the glass deadened the sound, I could still take a good guess at who it was.

I slid the blindfold up to lay on my forehead. And sure enough, it was Liam standing outside the car. I smiled - if you could call it a smile. I really just slightly lifted the corners of my mouth.

"You okay?" Liam mouthed, pressing his forehead against the glass. He looked worried. Just by the way he looked at me, I knew this wasn't a vacation. Something bad has happened, or is going to happen.

I think Liam knew that I had realised something wasn't right. We both stayed silent. Liam let out a sigh and his hot breathe fogged up a small part of the window.

"Will I see you again?" I whispered, hoping he could read my lips.
He furrowed his eyebrows, and starred at the ground - he was thinking. He rose his head to look at me and simply shrugged his shoulders. He looked helpless, confused, upset and a little mad.

I starred at the floor of the car in front of me, noticing my feet and moving them from side to side. Liam was a good friend, I didn't want this to be our last good bye.

I seen Liam turning his head around. As I looked past Liam I could see Harry off in the distance, coming out of Liam's house and approaching us.

Then it hit me, I quickly stuffed my hands into my sock and pulled out the card. I pressed it up against the glass and knocked for Liam to look at it. He turned around and a bright smile stretched across his face, he quickly nodded and ushered me to hide it again.

I stuffed the card with Liam's number back into my sock and looked at Liam one last time, knowing Harry would be here any minute and we'd be leaving.

I pressed my hand against the glass and mouthed "Goodbye." to Liam. He pressed his hand up against his side of the glass, to match mine. He mouthed "Goodbye." back. He leaned in close to the glass and lowly said,

"Call me if there's any trouble."

I smiled and gently nodded before pulling my blindfold down again to cover my eyes.